Remote control DVK - use as mouse for Linux?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

So I got a CY5672 remote control DVK. Its a nice one, the remote control fells quite good. What I would like to do with it is using it a RC for my media computer running under OpenElec (one of the XBMC clones). So I tested to use the RC via Blue Tooth on my Linux PC. I can get it regocnized and connected, but it seems not do do anything.

The user guide does mention only using it ia the BLE dongle and under Windows and OSX. Has anybody experiences in using it as a remote control or mouse replacement on Linux?

I know I can always use it via IR and lirc (and emulate a mouse), but I would like to use BLE.

0 Likes
4 Replies
SrikanthN_96
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

Hi,

The Host platform should have support for HOGP profile to be able to get the HID data and show the actions.

Do you have any air log traces to check what is happening ?

As the connection is fine with Linux PC, i suspect some problem with HOGP support on this platform.

Also do you have any other BLE based mouse to verify if Linux PC supports HOGP ?

Thanks,

Srikanth.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

OK, "HID-over-GATT" was the right clue I needed. This is (should be?) supported on Linux with the BlueZ 5 stack. My Linux PC is still on BlueZ 4.101 (even the latest Kubuntu versions are not on version 5). But according to my google-fu OpenElec should use BlueZ 5.29 (or something recent).

I will test this today and report back.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

OK, so I tested with OpenElec - and it worked out of the box (after enabling BlueTooth). What I found confusing though is that one can switch between touchpad and motion sensor without visible notification.

Is the firmware available somehow? The RDK homepage only has the user guide and the design files, but no software. Then I could remove the motion sensing functionality alltogether.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Just as a note: the RDK software is now available on the RDK home page (called CY5672 KIT ONLY PACKAGE). It has the fiormware for all components in it, including the remote control itself. It was quite easy to remove the unneeded parts of the software.

0 Likes