CY8C4125: SPI using SCB with ILI9341 SPI-TFT

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I worked through the 42xx code here www.cypress.com/ for SPI TFT Color LCD240x320.  The 4245 project compiled and ran on the Pioneer board as well as the 4200 Prototype board.  

I duplicated the project and selected a CY*4125 AXI-483 for the uC and gutted the SD-Card and added in the SCB as a Motorola SPI controller.  I assigned the pins and edited the TFT.C code to utilize the SCB component.

Everything compiled without error.  I connected to the SPI TFT color display and nothing but backlight.  Replacing the 4100 prototype with the 4200 prototype board and the display works.  I have looked over the SCB property sheet which shows SCLK mode: CPHA =00, CPOL =00 and this matches the mode used in the original SPI Master control on the CY84245 ; however, I do not find a similar "MSB First" setting with the SCB.

I am missing something.  I do not own a Saleae logic analyzer, but my dual channel scope seems to show MOSI and SCK and CS all performing.  The D/C signal is a firmware controlled pin, and the Data/Command were only edited from SPIM_WriteTxData() to SPIM_SpiUartWriteTxData() based upon my interpretation of the datasheet for the component: SCB in SPI Master Mode.

In the grand-scheme of things this is not a big deal, but I have a number of the 4100 Prototype boards that I want to "consume" before using my 4200 boards and the current project in mind uses a SPI TFT color display.

Anyone see what I have done wrong?  Thank you.  1st item on Holiday list is now a Saleae.

Regards,

Ray

0 Likes
7 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Code attached via IE

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

A quick answer might be had by printing project data sheets for both

4100 and 4200 and comparing .....

Also SPI in 4200 is 2x speed of the 4100.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
jakac_1482786
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

I am having the same problem.  I can run Ray Burnette's test program on a 4200M (CY8CKIT043) perfectly, but when I port the identical code to a PSOC5LP (CY8CKIT-059) with the same exact pins, I get nothing.  I am using the same screen for both PSoCs.  I suspect it's a SPI timing thing, but I can't figure it out.  The SPI settings are identical for both PSoCs.

Any insights?  

Best wishes- Jason

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

There is probably a difference in SPI timing concerning the ss-line. I would suggest you (as a try) not to use the SPI's ss-line but create a pin (no hardware connection) that you pull low (pin_write(0)) before you start an SPI transaction and which you release (pin_write(1)) when the transmission is completely done.

Bob

0 Likes
jakac_1482786
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Didn't work.  I pulled the SS pin off the SPIM and directly wrote to it.  Still works on the PSOC4 but not the 5.  Ugh.  I think Cypress is going to need to support these types of displays at some point.  It's trivial to get them working on Atmel or STM32.

//*************************************************************************************
void TFT_SendCMD(uint8_t cmd)
{ CS_Write(0); CyDelayUs(5); D_C_Write(0); CyDelayUs(4); SPIM_WriteTxData(cmd); CyDelayUs(10);CS_Write(1);}
//*************************************************************************************
void TFT_WriteData(uint8_t Data)
{ CS_Write(0); CyDelayUs(5); D_C_Write(1); CyDelayUs(4); SPIM_WriteTxData(Data);CyDelayUs(20);CS_Write(1);}

0 Likes
jakac_1482786
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Actually I moved the pins to another net and it started working. Pins 0.0-0.6 didn't work. But when I moved to 2.0-2.6 it's now working.  Weird.  I got no complaints from creator about the choice of pins. 

0 Likes
jakac_1482786
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Does anyone know how to implement new fonts with this example?

0 Likes