WS2812 and 5LP @ 48 Mhz

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

Hi, is there any way to change the "Desired Frequency" of the WS2812 component?, i'm using the component on a design with the 5LP P.K., fist @ 24 MHz and it runs very good, but if i change my design to run @ 48 MHz the led's are all white.

Checking other designs (at the left on the image attached) with the same component the "Desired Frequency" is setup @ 48 MHz, i'm unable to find the way to change that parameter and i'm afraid that is what i'm missing to make it work well.

0 Likes
19 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

The WS2812 datasheet I saw had only a typ data rate of 800K bits/sec. That is probably

due to the fact chaining these devices introduces a lot of parasitics in the timing path.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

So, there is no way to run the 5LP @ 48 MHz and have the led's working properly?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Not sure. Hope full MEH can comment. But I saw this discussion, author writing drivers

and had to reverse engineer chip characteristics. Might help you. Also I see no spec on

datasheets for power up delay, is there any needed. In your code you have no delay for

startup, could that be the issue ?

https://cpldcpu.wordpress.com/2014/01/14/light_ws2812-library-v2-0-part-i-understanding-the-ws2812/

I did not look thru MEHs code but maybe he sets speed based on clock tree settings ?

Given that he is asking for speed setting rate.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

Hi

I had found this proyect, it's running at 48 mhz, but it's build in a PSoC 4, (i see no start-up delay), i tried changing the device to the one present on the 5 lp, but this don't work, i hope to Meh can help me out, i need to add the ws2812 component to an already done project running @ 48 MHz.

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Maybe MEHs email address is meh@cypress.com .......

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

When looking at the clocks, doesn't it help to set the frequency of the "StripLights_Clock" to 24MHz by double-clicking on it?

Bob

0 Likes
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6

No it don't, it was the first thing that i tried, it send me directly to the component configuration window on the schematic page, for now im testing the project in the pionner board.

0 Likes
ToVa_285016
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 50 questions asked

Hi,

I am trying to run this component on a PSOC 4M, and getting the error:

Component 'StripLights' uses component 'cy_clock_v2_10' in its implementation. 'cy_clock_v2_10' has an error: The cy_clock_v2_10 component (StripLights_HFCLK) is not compatible with the selected device. Please check the component datasheet for details on updating to a compatible component.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to update the clock component inside the striplight component?

Regards,

Tom

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Take a look at help, documentation in PSOC Creator, component author guide.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
MarkH_61
Employee
Employee
25 likes received 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

I fixed the previous issue that Carlos47 had found and sent him a preliminary version.  It worked so now I'll take a look at the 4M issue.  The problem is that we sometimes handle the clocks differently between families and so I have to make a different schematic for each family.  I hadn't had time or the hardware to validate the component with the 4M parts until recently.  If it rains this weekend I will take a look at what I need to change.  If the weather is good, I'll be in the mountains.  ;^)

Mark

0 Likes
ToVa_285016
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Mark,

Thanks for looking into this.  I thank you in advance for your work, and can't wait to get it going on my CY8C4246AZI based controller.

Regards,

Tom

0 Likes
ToVa_285016
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

The 4M issue is easily fixed by updating the clock to the new component. 

I ran into another issue with using the component with the CYBLE-022001-00 module.  The error is:

Error in component: StripLights. Component 'StripLights_v2_2' is not supported by the selected device.

It only says for details that 'an error exists in an instance'.

If you do look into updating this component, please consider this as well.  Hard for me to look at as I don't know where to start with it's less than explicit error notice.

Thank you!

Tom

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I am utilizing PSoC Creator 3.3 with the target device defaulted to PSoC 4200 BLE (what I am using) and similar to a previous error, I too am getting this error:

"Component 'StripLights' uses component 'cy_clock_v2_10' in its implementation. 'cy_clock_v2_10' has an error: The cy_clock_v2_10 component (StripLights_HFCLK) is not compatible with the selected device. Please check the component datasheet for details on updating to a compatible component."

The details of the error include:

"The named component uses another component in its implementation that has a DRC error. Consider upgrading the parent component to a newer version via the Component Update Tool. As an alternate, you could import the parent component via the Component Import Tool and address the issue in your project's copy of the component. "

I am a little unsure one the "Component Update Tool" I have tried going to Project>Update Components and I have the WS2812 StripLights Component updated to 2.2 which is what I am assuming it is saying, but that is not satisfying the error. I have also read through the WS2812 component data sheet and I still have not found a solution to this error.

Would anyone please be able to provide any assistance or tips on solving error?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Consider upgrading the parent component to a newer version via the Component Update Tool.

Because the component you use is not a "normal" Cypress component, but was created privately by MEH the support cannot be as fast when new PSoC family members get introduced. So you may try to modify the component yourself or wait until there is a corrected version.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
ToVa_285016
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I went into the component and updated the clock.  The one I have been using is attached.

This library also allows you to use the SK6812 chip with RGBW.  The W channel is simply the MSB of the brightness - 0xWWBBRRGG.  Set the component to WS2812B.

Regards,

Tom

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

tdvdesign, 

I have tried to use this library file and I am still getting the error.  Is there an email I can reach you at for troubleshooting?

Thank you.

0 Likes
ToVa_285016
Level 5
Level 5

Sorry, I misread your post.  This will not work with BLE, I have been unable to fix the component for that.  It should work for M series and Creator 3.3, however.

Thank you,
Tom

0 Likes
lock attach
VlYe_281166
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Simply open library project for editing and add external clock terminal.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone been able to get this component to work for the PSoC 4 BLE parts? I've tried changing the clock by editing the component but I cant figure out how to make go.

0 Likes