1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2016 10:18 PM by user_429452331

CY8CKIT-059 with 3V

necdetalpmen_1437776

Hi,

Specifications in the CY8CKIT-059 kit guide says the board works with 3.3V - 5 .5V from a regulated supply. I need to use the board with 3V supply. Is it possible to achieve with or without any modifications to the kit board? What restricts its usage with 3V?

Cheers,

Necdet

• 1. Re: CY8CKIT-059 with 3V
          user_242978793

Power Supply System
          The power supply system on this board is dependent on the source of the power. For most
          applications, you can use the 5 V supply from the USB connection to power the system. You can
          also connect an external power supply to the board
          for low-voltage applications. The kit supports the
          following connections:

5 V from the KitProg USB

5 V from the PSoC 5LP Target USB (this will not power the KitProg section of the board)

3.3V to 5.5V from a regulated supply connected
          to VDD (this will not power the KitProg section of
          the board)
          Note:
          In order to use an external power supply, while
          KitProg is connected to the PCB USB, remove
          diode, D1, from the board. This ensures that VTARG supply from KitProg is not supplied to the target
          device. KitProg measures the target voltage and
          adjusts the logic levels on the programming pins
          accordingly.
          It is important to understand that this prototyping kit does not have any onboard ESD protection
          circuitry. Therefore, the power source for the PSoC 5LP Prototyping Kit must be of a high quality to
          ensure that the board is protected from any over-current conditions and swapped-power connections.

I would look in to getting a buck boost power chip to raise the power back to 3.3 volts from the 3.0 volts you are using.

• 2. Re: CY8CKIT-059 with 3V
            necdetalpmen_1437776

Thanks for the input. I will consider boosting the voltage as last resort. The reason I asked is, the SoC operates between 1.71 to 5.5 V, but the kit's minimum voltage requirement is 3.3 V. Why is that? If it is because of some external components on the board that I won't be needing, I can just unsolder them.

BR,

Necdet

• 3. Re: CY8CKIT-059 with 3V
              will.flanery

I would also like an answer to this question about the CY8KIT-059.  Is there a reason to not regulate VTARG down to 3.0V (or even down to 1.71) connected to P5LP_VDD?   R20 is removed to separate VTARG from P5LP_VDD.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: CY8CKIT-059 with 3V
                user_1377889

It is just a matter of programming. The output of the kitprog - part is 5V which will not be tolerated by a 3.3V driven PSoC target. On the other hand, when 3.3V peripherals are connected to the target device you may not program it with 5V.

Only way out I can see so far will be a level-shift interface for sda, sck and xres connections between snap-off part and prototype board.

Bob

• 5. Re: CY8CKIT-059 with 3V
                  user_246598725

I don't think that it's neccessary to have level shifter if both parts use the same supply rather than have a special version of the Kitprog software which doesn't rely on 5V.

From a hardware point of view I think that down to 3.3V is possible (USB signals are 3.3V). Anything below makes USB and therefore the Kitprog useless, so that would be the point where separate voltage supplies are neccessary. Of course, in that case level shifting or open-drain mode is neccessary.

Regards,

Ralf

• 6. Re: CY8CKIT-059 with 3V
                    user_1377889

When you drive the target device with only 3.3V you will need a level-shifter between Kitprog and target, because the Kitprog signals are 5V. I cannot see yet how you will manage to run the Kitprog unmodified with 3.3V which would not need a level-shifter or isolation for connected 3.3V peripherals.

Bob

• 7. Re: CY8CKIT-059 with 3V
                      will.flanery

I've confirmed that USB requires 3.3 (not 3.0) volts, as stated in the PSoC5LP Architecture TRM.

Everything I've read also confirms Bob's point that there should be a problem running the Target side of the CY8KIT-059 at 3.3V while the KitProg side is still at 5V. 

On the other hand, I've been running it this way for a month and haven't experienced any failures.  I'll deal with programmer voltages when we get closer to board design, or when it smokes; which ever comes first ;-)

• 8. Re: CY8CKIT-059 with 3V
                        user_1377889

@Will

You will run into a problem when you connect to your -059 kit 3.3V peripherals which are connected to the board's Vcc. During Programming your peripherals will see 5V which might blow them up.

Smoking might damage your boards

Bob

• 9. Re: CY8CKIT-059 with 3V
                          user_429452331

Hi Bob

please correct me if I m wrong.
                          I understood the kit 59 Manual that removing D1 cancels the 5V supply to VTARG and there for the KitProg can properly detect and adopt to the target voltage. As the KitProg is using SIO Pins as programming interface to the target I would guess SIO pins regulated output function is used to regulate down to VTARG !?

"...smoking might damage your board..." this depends on what I am smoking ;-)

All the Best
                          Frank

• 10. Re: CY8CKIT-059 with 3V
                            user_1377889

I have never touched one of my boards with a soldering iron (yet).You can give it a try, I cross my fingers...

Bob

PS: Where in Germany are you located? I live near (more or less) Bremen.

• 11. Re: CY8CKIT-059 with 3V
                              user_246598725

Hi,

sorry, maybe I was not precise enough: of course, the KitProg part also needs some modifications, at least a 5V-3.3V LDO or the possibility to only supply the port bank used for the debug pins with the target voltage. The latter one would be more flexible.

Unfortunately, the KitProg part of the circuit isn't prepared for designs using a supply other than 5V. So this renders all prototyping kits (-041/-042/-059) to 5V only designs. Even if the connection between MCU and KitProg is broken, a level shifter is needed. This something Cypress should take into account for the next prototyping kit (re-)designs.

Regards,

Ralf

• 12. Re: CY8CKIT-059 with 3V
                                user_429452331

Hi Folks,

as I needed a quick solution for a 5lp on 3.3V I have removed D1, snapped of the Programmer and connected it to the programming port on the Kit-59. 
                                Power supply was done with 3.3V on the supply pins of the kit.

This combination is working perfectly. Programmer is detecting the voltage as it should and programming runs like a charm.
                                I also have tried the programmer on a 5V board and it worked.

• 13. Re: CY8CKIT-059 with 3V
                                  will.flanery

Bob,

Just to follow up on this thread; you were right.  The 5V programming/debug signals did damage the PSoC 5LP in subtle ways.  For me, everything worked except the USB wouldn't connect to the PC.  It only showed as "unknown device".   When I loaded the same code in an unmodified CY8CKIT-059, the USB worked fine.

To interface with the 3.3V I2C chips, I added a separate 3.3V regulator for the peripheral chips and the I2C lines are pulled-up to 3.3V. 

• 14. Re: CY8CKIT-059 with 3V
                                    user_1377889

Thank you for keeping us informed, Will. I'd really like to see a new KitProg hardware that has got a selectable voltage for 3.3 and 5V operation.

Bob

1 2 Previous Next