PSoC Lock-in vs. AD630 based Lock-in

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone-

I'm looking into building a lock-in amplifier using the PSoC 5LP prototyping kit to measure the intensity of, effectively, a light source. My current set-up is similar to Fig 9 (attached) from this college lab manual. Using a commercial lock-in, things work totally fine, but I'm trying to scale down the size of my setup and would like to build a lock-in on the 5LP. 

The only question I have is, should I do this all in software in my PSoC? Or would it be best to implement a lock-in with external components (most notably the AD630 synchronous demodulator) and then use the onboard ADC of the 5LP for digital readout of the LIA value?

I've read this guide from cypress on implementing a LIA with a PSoC, but the conclusion made me rethink doing everything in software. 

Just wondering if anyone has some insight I'm lacking. I appreciate any and all help!

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

ad8172a,

there is a lock-in demo demo project posted here (scroll down):

http://www.cypress.com/forum/psoc-5-device-programming/need-demo-program-lock-amplification

Note that (if) you have external reference input from mechanical chopper, you may need to phase-shift (depending on modulation frequency and your photo receiver response time). In commercial lock-ins there is typically a PLL circuit to do that, but if receiver's response is fast then you don't need it. If you modulate laser source than the above project should work fine without modifications.

odissey1 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

ad8172a,

there is a lock-in demo demo project posted here (scroll down):

http://www.cypress.com/forum/psoc-5-device-programming/need-demo-program-lock-amplification

Note that (if) you have external reference input from mechanical chopper, you may need to phase-shift (depending on modulation frequency and your photo receiver response time). In commercial lock-ins there is typically a PLL circuit to do that, but if receiver's response is fast then you don't need it. If you modulate laser source than the above project should work fine without modifications.

odissey1 

0 Likes