microSD & PSoC 3 3.3V not working

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GeMo_285911
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Hello,

I have a problem with writing on a microSD connected directly to a PSoC 3 (CY8C3246PVI-147). It is set to work at 4MHz, and everything is OK when the PSoC is powered at 5V. However, when I power the PSoC at 3.3V, the microSD operations take a lot more time (tens of sceconds), and nothing is written on the memory card.

Is there a problem with the PSoC outputs, not being able to command the microSD at 3.3 V power supply? If so, is a buffer chip required between the PSoC and the microSD?

Thank you!

George

0 Likes
1 Solution
GeMo_285911
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Hello, 

I finally found out what the problem was with the microSD. It appears that the GND signal of the card holder was not properly soldered to the board. Everything works fine now, after one week of hard work :D.

Sorry for the trouble!

George

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

You should not need a buffer. Is there a missing pullup on the

interface ? Or one that has poor electrical connection ?

Whats the P/N of the SD CARD you are using ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
GeMo_285911
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Hi Dana,

I attached a picture of the micro SD card holder's connections to the PSoC. The card I am using is a Kingston SDC4/4GB 126. When the PSoC and its I/O are powered at 5V everything works fine, although, considering the fact that the memory works at 3.6V max, this shouldn't happen. I also switched between 3 memories, thinking that it is broken.

Regards,

George

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

You are not frying SDCARDs because you are operating them out of spec ?

Re the Vdd of 5V on the SDCARD when it is rated for 3.6 max ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
GeMo_285911
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

The computer sees all the information I wrote when using 5V power supply.

Regards,

George

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

What may have saved the card was inability of PSOC to source high currents on interface

Have you looked at actual signal interface during the writes, examined timing ? Used a

logic analyzer to see the response of the card to write commands, etc, ? Checked for

severe over/undershoot on SDCARD pins.....

Any special power sequencing required by SDCARD ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
GeMo_285911
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Unfortunately, I have only an oscilloscope. The clock signal seems to be the same for both supply voltages. Could there be a problem with the PSoC clocks, when it is powered at 3.3? The emFile component is set to a maximum 4MHz rate. The CPU runs (I think) at 24MHz (PLL out for Bus CLK and Master Clock, IMO - 3MHz).

I don't know where to begin. Should I look for an electrical problem or in the PSoC settings?

Thank you,

George

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
GeMo_285911
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

I have some observations to add. With the max frequency in emFile set to 4MHz, at 3.3V power supply, the frequency of the SPI clock is slower (period of 2.5us). Is there a reduction of the clock performance and maximum frequency when the PSoC is powered at 3.3V. I searched the technical documents and it is not mentioned.

I also attach 2 images for the MOSI signal (one for 5V and one for 3.3V).

Regards,

George

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Here is a cheap logic analyzer, I have 2 of them, work great. They advertise

24 Mhz, not sure I agree with that, but can't beat price and functionality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compatible-With-Logic-Analyzer-USB-Cable-24M-8CH-24MHz-8Channel-ARM-FPGA-MCU-/261831462069?hash=item3cf65f0cb5

The clock is trimmed for frequency on startup -

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an60616-psoc-3-and-psoc-5lp-startup-procedure

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
GeMo_285911
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Hi Dana,

I am sorry, I forgot 2 simple questions.

Is 24MHz for the PLL output, bus clock and master clock, a larger value than allowable at 3.3V power supply for PSoC 3?

What is the maximum SPI freauency at 3.3V power supply in PSoC 3 (is 4MHz not reachable in this case)?

Thank you for the logic analyzer link! I will buy one.

Regards,

George

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The AC specs for clocks are governed by this from datasheet -

11.9 Clocking
Specifications are valid for –40 °C ≤ TA ≤ 85 °C and TJ ≤ 100 °C, except where noted.

Specifications are valid for 1.71 V to 5.5 V, except where noted. Unless otherwise specified,

all charts and graphs show typical values.

If you look at SPI datasheet, at bottom, are AC specs, supporting 18 Mhz down to 1.71 Vddd.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
GeMo_285911
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Thank you, I thought I missed something. All that remains is that there is some electrical problem on the PCB.

Regards,

George

0 Likes
GeMo_285911
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Hello, 

I finally found out what the problem was with the microSD. It appears that the GND signal of the card holder was not properly soldered to the board. Everything works fine now, after one week of hard work :D.

Sorry for the trouble!

George

0 Likes