Interfacing the FM25C160B

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RuPi_283656
Level 4
Level 4
10 sign-ins First solution authored 25 replies posted

Hi again.  I wonder if anyone can give some advice on interfacing the Cypress FM25C160B FRAM (SPI) memory chip to a PSOC5.  I tried the straight forward approach of specifying an SPI component and connecting the MOSI, MISO, CLOCK, and specified a processor pin for chip select.  But no matter what I do, I cannot read anything but zeroes out of the FRAM.  Even reading the status register (after setting the WREN bit) returns zero.  Is there some reason why my interface will not work?  I'd appreciate any comments, especially if you have done this.  (By the way the FM25C160B used to be made by a company called Ramtron, but they were bought out by Cypress a few weeks ago.  I have used the FM25C160B devices from Ramtron in a number of PIC applications with no problem, but this is the first time I have tried it with a PSOC.

Thanks, Russ

0 Likes
3 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

This might be of help -

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an89659-interfacing-spi-f-ram-psoc-4

Although for PSOC 4 should adapt easily to 5LP.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
RuPi_283656
Level 4
Level 4
10 sign-ins First solution authored 25 replies posted

Thanks Dana. I went through the AN and did not find any reason for failure, however one of the techs did find the problem.  They had put this 5 volt part into a 3 volt system!  I am accessing it remotely, and also did not have the latest schematic so I did not realize what they had done.  It turns out that Cypress has a compatible 3 volt part so we have it on order.  I seem to recall that some of the GPIO lines are compatible with 5 volt inputs, so it might have worked of they had just supplied 5 volts to the part, but a 3 volt part is a better solution.

Thanks again, Russ

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Yes, you can do level shift with the Vddio quadrant settings, but

constrained to <= Vdda.

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an72382-using-psoc-3-and-psoc-5lp-gpio-pins      AN72382 - Using PSoC® 3 and PSoC 5LP GPIO Pins

SIO pins one exception, they are 5 V tolerant.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes