3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 5:17 AM by daniel.caliari

PSoC Creator Manual Pin Assigment

daniel.caliari

Hello,

when developing a project in PSoC Creator, doesn't matter which one, It's common that we may have to choose the pins and ports. I know that depending on the component the PSoC Creator automatically assign a pin, for example the UART component has pre-defined Rx/Tx pins. But if I want to use a PGA, ADC, and others components, can I choose any pin that I want? Or should I only use the pins that hasn't anything pre-established (like OpAmp[1].vminus, or XTal.Xo, or any other)?

• 1. Re: PSoC Creator Manual Pin Assigment
          user_342122993
                  Daniel, Generally speaking, yes, one can use any pins. The limitations are specific, e.g. XTAL pins have (i believe) internal opamps; opamp direct inputs have lesser resistance and parasitic capacitance, USB D+/- will (likely) work only with pre-defined pins, etc. ... you have to read the fine print. Particularly, I recommend to inspect the dev board and schematic for any existing capacitors attached to the pins - that can really affect/limit your choices. There are also preferred ports for analog routing (#1 & #3), so the answer is testing, testing and testing....   
          • 2. Re: PSoC Creator Manual Pin Assigment
            user_1377889

Additionally there are some restrictions for PSoC4 - based chips as limited routing capabilities for ports >= 4 and the pins for the opamps.

Some pins have dedicated functions which you lose when choosing this pin for a different purpose.

Bob

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PSoC Creator Manual Pin Assigment
              daniel.caliari

Ok, understood! So It may be a good practice to take a look the pin descriptions and see if It has any bypass capacitor or additional circuit or It routing capabilities.

Thanks for the advice Bob Marlowe and odissey1!