Programming CY8CKIT-049-42xx PSoC 4 Bootloader through USB?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.  New user here.

Is it possible to update the bootloader program on a CY8CKIT-049-42xx PSoC 4 using the  USB interface or do I need to use the miniprog3?  I seem to be running into the same issue noted below when trying to store a small amount of information using emEEPROM but do not yet have the miniprog3 and was wondering if there was another method I could use.

http://www.cypress.com/knowledge-base-article/using-emulated-eeprom-component-bootloadable-project-k...

Thanks,

Ben

0 Likes
4 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum, Ben!

You cannot change the bootloader of a CY8CKIT-042 with the USB interface provided.

But instead of a MiniProg3 you may use a KitProg which is the snap-off programmer of  a CY8CKIT-043. When using that you are additionally able to program and debug your -042 board, no need for a bootloader any more.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response, Bob.

One clarification, as stated I have the -049 Prototyping Kit and not the -042.  I browsed the user manual for the KitProg and while it did say it supported the -042, the -049 was not mentioned.  It does look like it should work though, just add jumpers from J7 on the -043 to the last 5 positions of the J2 on the -049. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll give it a try.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Bob.  I've had time to use the snap off programmer and it was a great idea.  That project has now been completed and off on the next ones.

Ben

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

My fault, I mistyped the kit number. The CY8CKit-049 cannot change the bootloader via USB.

Bob

0 Likes