6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 7:31 PM by adityapanchangam_1560036

I2C

adityapanchangam_1560036

Hi,

Could you please tell me how to send 16 bits of data through I2C?

I wonder how i should allocate address at the slave for the data transmitted from master.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: I2C
          user_1377889

This question can be reduced to "How to access an integer bytewise". There are several different choices.

some (not all) are:

You could use a union

You could directly calculate by shifting and masking

you could use a type-cast

Because different MCUs may have different endianess, only the shift and mask method is independent.of that.

Bob

• 2. Re: I2C
            adityapanchangam_1560036

Yeah Bob.

Should I require to initialise the read buffer at slave separately to read two bytes?

And also please help me how to send the two bytes from master

• 3. Re: I2C
              user_1377889

So, what is your I2C master and what is the slave? Provide a datasheet link when not a PSoC. Consider posting your complete project, so that we all can have a look at all of your settings? To do so, use
              Creator->File->Create Workspace Bundle (minimal)
              and attach the resulting file.

sending bytes will work as

int Myinteger = 0xBeaf;

I2C_MasterWriteByte((void *)(&MyInteger));   // Send upper byte

I2C_MasterWriteByte((void *)(&MyInteger)+1);   // Send lower byte

Bob

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: I2C
                adityapanchangam_1560036

PSoC 3 is Master.

Im trying to program SI4703 fm receiver through I2C.So, Im unable to know what is happening at the slave. Im not completely done with coding Bob. Il upload a other I2C Master Slave project. Could you please do the changes in them?. Il attach the datasheet of FM receiver too 

• 5. Re: I2C
                  user_1377889

I prefer using the more basic routines for I2C. Byte I2C interface is quite simple: After setting up the component and starting it you use

I2C_MasterSendStart(DeviceAddress,I2C_WRITE_XFER_MODE);    // Initialize a transaction for writing
                      I2C_MasterWriteByte(Value);                // Write to register
                      I2C_MasterSendStop();                    // End of transaction

When you want to read from a device you use (example for reading two bytes

I2C_MasterSendStart(DeviceAddress,I2C_READ_XFER_MODE);    // Initialize a transaction for writing
                      I2C_MasterReadByte(I2C_ACK_DATA);            // Read from register
                      I2C_MasterReadByte(I2C_NAK_DATA);            // Read from register, last byte is usually NAKed
                      I2C_MasterSendStop();                    // End of transaction

Not too difficult. Keep in mind that most of the APIs (except those for reading a byte) return a status byte which, when non-zero indicate an error condition.

Bob

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: I2C
                    adityapanchangam_1560036

Thank you very much!!..

Il implement this and try..