cy8ckit-043 setup UART

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RiKn_1565556
Level 2
Level 2

Just received my CY8CKIT-043 board and have begun trying different things with it.  I'm wanting to do some debugging with RS-232 however most of the references I find are focused on different products.  Can anyone point me at a reference?

0 Likes
8 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum!

Debugging without RS232 is quite easy: there is a debugger already integrated into Cypress Creator.

When you want to print data from PSoC to PC screen, just use a terminal program as PuTTY. Within the PSoC board is an UART-USB bridge that uses an emulated com port on your PC.

Place an UART on your topdesign and configure it (baud rate, parity etc) Set the UART pins to p7_0 and p7_1 resp.

Bob

0 Likes
RiKn_1565556
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks Bob,

I'll give it a whirl and get back if I have any problems.

0 Likes
RiKn_1565556
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Bob, I'm back again with a follow-up question -

I have done as you suggested.  Putty found a port at COM3.  Initially this port was running wide open (noise) until I put in "UART_1_Start()" into the main.c file.  That stopped the idle line chatter.  Baud rates match up between the UART (SCB 3.10) and what I am using with putty and teraterm.

Proceeding on, I invoked the STDIO library #include <stdio.h> into the main.c file.  I then have a little "hello world" for loop that repeats itself.  Here is where I'm stuck now,  nothing is happening over in putty.  Have I skipped a step with initializing the UART?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I suggest you to use

sprintf(buffer,....);

and UART_1_PutString(buffer);

There is no OS, how should the compiler know where you want to send your data to when using only printf()

Bob.

0 Likes
RiKn_1565556
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks Bob,

I've used this method before with the PIC processor so I get it.  Thanks for the pointer.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a UART_1_PutString(); function available with the kit package, unless I've left out a #include of one sort or another.  Sorry to be so thick...

Rich

0 Likes
RiKn_1565556
Level 2
Level 2

Thinking this might be a C99 artifact I changed the compiler argument to permit C99 syntax and that didn't help.

Rich

0 Likes
RiKn_1565556
Level 2
Level 2

Hello again,

Just so I don't look completely helpless :).  It turns out for the CY8CKIT-043 board, using PSoC Creator 3.3, the function to use is named a little different.

instead of UART_1_PutString(), it really is UART_1_UartPutString() which works just fine.

Since the UART_1 Handle can be changed on the UART module, I guess that for a UART module named "FOOBAR" then the invocation would be FOOBAR_UartPutChar().  Just in case anyone innocently stumbles across this thread.

Cheers!

Rich

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, mis-spelled or mis-taken. I always advise to look at the datasheet of the components, which is just a mouse click far away when configuring. The "API" chapter shows all the functions.

BTW: I just recall that in the PSoC4-M are two different UARTs and for one of them there is a FOOBAR_PutString() and for the other a FOOBAR_UartPutString().

Bob

0 Likes