Difference between UART and UART SCB mode component

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

whats actually the difference between the "normal" UART component and the "UART SCB mode" in PSoC Creator?

Thanks,

Patrick

0 Likes
1 Solution
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

The UDB UARTS obviously need UDBs. So you have less of them left for other stuff (e.g. LUTs, PWMs or simple logic). With regards of power, you will need to look at the data sheets. Maybe there is something in there. But I guess it doesn't make a difference.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

The SCB UART uses a fixed-function implementation. This doesn't use any digital block (UDBs), is assigned to fixed pins, and lacks some features. The UDB version is more versatile, its ouputs can be routed, but it needs more resources.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the answer. Can you also specify which "more ressources" are needed? Do you mean energy consumption for the subunit or processing time in the MCU? I am looking specifically for a low power solution to communicate between PSoC 4 and another MCU, would you therefore recommend the SCB UART or is it lacking essential features for this purpose?

Thank you,

Patrick

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

The UDB UARTS obviously need UDBs. So you have less of them left for other stuff (e.g. LUTs, PWMs or simple logic). With regards of power, you will need to look at the data sheets. Maybe there is something in there. But I guess it doesn't make a difference.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi hli,

ok thanks for clarifying!

Regards,

Patrick

0 Likes