3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2016 8:26 AM by greg.basile

GPIF EOP does not terminate current USB transaction using Auto DMA

greg.basile

Our basic system has a FPGA that controls a CCD imager.  The video data is transferred to the FX3 via the GPIF.  We are streaming the data to the PC via a USB 3.0 Bulk Endpoint.

I have based our code on Cypress's "SYNCHRONOUS SLAVE FIFO PROTOCOL EXAMPLE". We are using  AUTO DMA to support our bandwidth ( 350 mega bits per second).

We are using CYUSB overlapped IO on the PC side.

The FPGA continuously sends 18.75 * 16K data and asserts the EOP on the GPIF interface on the last byte.  I am able to see the EOP asserted in the DMA channel on the FX3.

Each queued request is for 16K of data. on the PC side. The issue is that I always receive 16K data on the PC side. I would expect to receive .75 * 16K bytes at some point.

How can I set up the DMA channel to terminate the current transaction when the GPIF receives an EOP?

• 1. Re: GPIF EOP does not terminate current USB transaction using Auto DMA
          Madhu Lakshmipathy

Hi,

Can you please make sure that SLWR and EOP are both asserted at the last byte? If EOP alone is asserted it will send a Zero length buffer while leaving the current traction unterminated.

So any new transfer would merge with 0.75 * 16K and make it as a complete 16K buffer.

i.e You need to ake sure that the state machine goes to SHORT_PKT state instead of ZLP state. (Refer your state machine diagram in the GPIF Designer software)

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

• 2. Re: GPIF EOP does not terminate current USB transaction using Auto DMA
            greg.basile

Yes both SLWR and EOP are both asserted on the last byte.

I used the GPIFII_Designer_sync_SlaveFIFO.cyfx GPIF project.  Looking at the SHORT_PKT state there is a COMMIT, IN_ADDR, and IN_DATA action. According to help, the IN_DATA action suppresses the ZLP.  I removed the IN_DATA action and recompile. Still no terminated transaction.

I also tried making the the last transfer an odd size, i.e. 750 bytes. This did not work either.

• 3. Re: GPIF EOP does not terminate current USB transaction using Auto DMA
              greg.basile

I have observed that if I synchronize the the PC to start reading from the usb bulk endpoint and then enable the hardware to start transferring data to the FX3 via the GPIF, I receive short packets on the PC side.

If I first enable the hardware to transfer data to the PC and then start reading from the bulk endpoint on the pc, I never receive a short packet.

I have worked around the problem for now by embedding a sync code in the video stream.