Curent Measurement problem in BLE Pioneer Kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am using the PSoC 4 BLE module on the kit mother board, I have placed a 10 Ω resistor across J15 and observing it by connecting both a scope and a DVM across it.  (Note: The DVM is reading mV and I just divide by 10 to get mA.) When I run the board powering it from USB, I get a reasonable steady state current on the DVM and can see the spikes when BlueTooth transmits on the scope. This is with PSoC Creator 3.3 running and connected to the target processor.  As soon as I start to download code into the board the current reverses (That is Vdd BLE > Vdd  on J15).  The current value is now a small fraction of what it read previously.  It stays in this state even if I hit RESET on the mother board. 

The only way I can get it back to normal current is to pull the USB and plug it back in again.  Then current returns to the original value.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it works ?

Thanks very much for the help.

--jim schimpf

0 Likes
1 Solution
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Just an educated guess: during program and debug the programmer supplies power to the BLE board. This could reverse the current since there are now two supplies.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Jim Please post or project so we can check it out.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I cannot send you the project (NDA project...) but I will try to make another project that has the same problem.  This will be tomorrow some time.  Thank you for looking at this.

--jim schimpf

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Here is a project you can have, the main is just a loop with a 5 second delay.  The code was for testing a 24C16 EEPROM.  That code is included but not used here.  It should run on the Pioneer kit hardware.  Measuring it I found:

Code in processor & plug in USB 12.90 ma 
Start Debug -1.01 ma  <- Just starting download
Debug run -0.77 ma <- After debug download hit Start

All this was measured with a 10 Ω resistor connected across J15 and a DVM reading mv attached with +lead attached to the VDD pin.

--jim schimpf

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Just an educated guess: during program and debug the programmer supplies power to the BLE board. This could reverse the current since there are now two supplies.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any way to shut off this power without disconnecting the board from USB.  I want to make changes in the IDE, load it up then measure the current.

--jim schimpf

0 Likes