6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2016 6:12 AM by ericwhitefield_1538151

printf PSoC Creator in a Windows VM on Mac OSX

ericwhitefield_1538151

I'm using Creator 3.3 in a Windows 7 VM (hosted on OSX) and I'm able to compile/write example programs to the PSoC 4 BLE Pioneer Kit (CY8CKIT-042-BLE). Besides the following problem it works great and Creator is a fantastic system to get started with quickly.

Now I come across a project in the "100 Projects in a 100 Days" (day 10) which is full of printf statements. I'd love to see these output messages and use this printf debugging feature in general.

My guess was that they would write back to a log window in Creator over the usb cable with which I'm writing/debugging the Pioneer Kit.

However, after some research I got the impression that they write back to a serial com port, still done over that same USB cable to the Pioneer Kit. Some say one can see this data by using PuTTY/hyperterminal connected to COM1.

Firstly, is this how it is supposed to work? Do other's regularly do this with Windows systems?

I could be wrong about this as I've never seen it work. I don't know if it's because I'm in a VM or because this is generally bad information.

To use a COM port in the VM I need to connect a COM port from OSX. There is a list, but unfortunately no com port seems to have been created for the Pioneer Kit in OSX.

Secondly, is it possible to receive these messages on OSX directly? 

After some research I suspected it might be purposed to work like a serial-usb-bridge and that if it was recognized by OSX then one might expect it to create a tty file in /dev. It does not.

I don't know if I have a problem with my system or if this is even supposed to work this way in the first place.

Any help and insights are much appreciated.