Retrieving characteristics fails when using Windows host

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have downloaded the hello sensor code (from the 1.1 SDK) and have communicated successfully with it using LightBlue but when I try and use the sample HelloClient code on Windows 8.1 (using built in drivers and a Pluggable USB dongle) any call to retrieve a characteristic times out after about a minute and towards the end of the wait Windows displays a modeless dialog stating that a Bluetooth device is restarting (and the Device manager remunerates all Bluetooth devices).

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Joe,

I see from your other post that your WIN8 machine does not have a hardware radio and the case of the Broadcom BTW stack.  I looked up on the Pluggable website and they indicate that you should uninstall previous drivers before you install the Broadcom drivers.  So if you are using the Pluggable dongle + Broadcom BTW stack you should not be using the built in drivers.  I have copied the excerpt from this page and the link is also provided below...

Plugable USB-BT4LE Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter for Windows and Linux PCs | Plugable

I have another Bluetooth adapter driver previously installed, will that conflict with this adapter?

All previously installed Bluetooth drivers should be removed and built-in adapters should be disabled prior to installing the Broadcom driver. Follow the below steps to verify if you have any pre-existing Bluetooth adapters installed:

Regards,

Frank

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Joe,

Maybe I am missing something but why do you need the Pluggable dongle if you are using a WIN8 machine?  WIN8 is supposed to support BTLE out of the box.  Does the hardware on the machine not have dual mode/BTLE capability?  One other item to be aware of is there is a x86(32bit) and x64 version of the HelloClient.  I am assuming you have seen that but maybe not.  You might try simply removing the Pluggable dongle if your machine came with WIN8 out of the box as it could be causing some sort of conflict.

Regards,

Frank

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Joe,

I see from your other post that your WIN8 machine does not have a hardware radio and the case of the Broadcom BTW stack.  I looked up on the Pluggable website and they indicate that you should uninstall previous drivers before you install the Broadcom drivers.  So if you are using the Pluggable dongle + Broadcom BTW stack you should not be using the built in drivers.  I have copied the excerpt from this page and the link is also provided below...

Plugable USB-BT4LE Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter for Windows and Linux PCs | Plugable

I have another Bluetooth adapter driver previously installed, will that conflict with this adapter?

All previously installed Bluetooth drivers should be removed and built-in adapters should be disabled prior to installing the Broadcom driver. Follow the below steps to verify if you have any pre-existing Bluetooth adapters installed:

Regards,

Frank

0 Likes