Interfacing a glucometer with Psoc.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

I'm working on a project and it's my first time using the psoc but i am getting familiar with it and I like it. I want to read some data stored in a glucometer through the serial port. I have two questions.

1- I want to use the pins 1[2] and 1[4] to connect to the RX and TX of the glucometer and once I have the data in the psoc, i want to use the usb-to-uart bridge to send the data to the computer and be able to see if i am getting the data correctly. So total i will be using two UART in the psoc. I would like to know if i can do this or I am only allowed to use one UART and the pins 12[6] and 12[7] to connect to the glucometer?.

2- So far, I am not using any external voltage supply and I want to power the blucometer module using the voltage coming from the kitprog (VTARG) using the pins VDD and GND in the psoc. I will use and external supply when everything is working but right now I don't have any available. I want to make sure that i am connecting everythig well before try it and avoid any problem.

PC<--->PSOC<---->Glucometer  

Ps. I am using the Psoc 5LP and english is not my first language, so if there is anything that is not clear please let me know and i will try to explain it better.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome to the forum! Most of us members are not natively speaking English, so as long as you use enough words we will understand you 😉

There are (nearly) no restrictions in a PSoC5 for the number of UARTs you use and for the pins you connect them to.

Watch out for the glucometer's output voltage!!! It might be the case that the output is leveled to +-12V as an RS232 interface. This might easily damage your -059 board. Way out is to use a level-shifter as the MAX232.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob and thanks for the response!

Yeah, that is the case and I am using a max3232 to address that problem. I forgot to include that in my description. 

So, I will be able to make the connections I was describing above and power the module from the psoc?

Tomás

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

VTARG is connected to USB VBUS, so your devices will be powered from USB. Depending on the current your glucometer requires it will work. Or not.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bob for taking the time and respond.

After reading all your responses I won't be afraid to power up everything and see what happens. According to the datasheet the module does not need more than 100mA.

Tomás.

0 Likes