11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 4:46 AM by eifu

CYALKIT-E02 advertising irregular intervals

emach1_1955091

Hi, I've noticed that my BLE Sensor is advertising to the Cypress BLE-Beacon App at irregular intervals even when it's physically right next to it under a constant light source. The interval can be as little as 1 second to a minute or sometimes over a few minutes (or stalls for hours).

I looked at the BLE Sensor firmware source code that was provided and I noticed that it doesn't have random timer for advertising (or at least I didn't see it), so I'm wondering if I received a faulty device? Should the advertising interval be pretty regular and constant ? What could be affecting the irregularity of the advertising sends? What have you experienced?

Thanks in advanced!

• 1. Re: CYALKIT-E02 advertising irregular intervals
          anpm

Hi,

Could you please let me know what are the adv settings given in the component (send a screenshot)? Also are yo uchnaging the adv parameter inside the firmware?

Thanks,

Anjana

• 2. Re: CYALKIT-E02 advertising irregular intervals
            emach1_1955091

Hi Anjana, How do i determine the adv settings?  I didn't change anything on the firmware other than the major ID (as part of the setup and verify process). 

• 3. Re: CYALKIT-E02 advertising irregular intervals
              Gyan Chand

Hi,

>Yes, the advertising interval be pretty regular and constant.

> Could you please let us know ,How are you determining the advertising packets interval?

> We did not experience any issue like this with Cypress BLE-Beacon App.

Regards,

Gyan

• 4. Re: CYALKIT-E02 advertising irregular intervals
                emach1_1955091

Hi,

Here are the steps to reproduce. 

(1) Place beacon under constant sunlight (stationary / non-moving).

(2) Load up the BLE Beacon iOS app and notice that the incoming rates as logged vary from 1second to almost never. The incoming packets are very sporadic.

Here's a sample log:

10:00:00 - iOS app received 1st signal

10:00:01 - iOS app received 2nd signal (1 sec later)

10:01:00 - iOS app received 3rd signal (notice 1 minute later)

10:01:01 - iOS app received 4th signal (1 sec later)

this continues for a few times more, and then a big long pause...

10:05:30 - iOS app received Nth signal (time varies from 1 sec, 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 mins or more).

I've tested this over multiple days and I never ever get a constant advertising interval. I even tested this on the Android App, which does a bit better at around 3-20 seconds interval over several minutes.

Question: What's the minimum advertising packet interval?

• 5. Re: CYALKIT-E02 advertising irregular intervals
                  emach1_1955091

Hi - can someone reply to my questions? Just wondering if I received a faulty device. 

• 6. Re: CYALKIT-E02 advertising irregular intervals
                    Gyan Chand

Hi,

" CYALKIT-E02 Supports BLE communication with a mobile device (iOS 8 or newer / Android 4.4 or newer)"

> The iOS BLE-Beacon App has been tested with all iOS versions including latest version iOS 10.1.1 and there is no issue with BLE-Beacon App.

Few information I want to know from your side--

1) Did you change the company code COID?

>>  **If you are using the iOS BLE-Beacon App then you have to set the Apple COID=004C to receive the sensor data for iOS.         

(Please refer to CYALKIT-E02 kit guide( Page 33)).

2) Is Android devices have no issue?

>> If there is no issue with Android devices then probably you need to change the Company Code for iOS BLE-Beacon.

Regards,

Gyan

• 7. Re: CYALKIT-E02 advertising irregular intervals
                      emach1_1955091

Hi Gyan,

I changed the sensor ID per the kit guide instructions. It doesn't matter what I change it too as the broadcast is still irregular on both iOS (10+) and Android, so I'm thinking I might have received a faulty sensor/chip.  Are you able to confirm what is the broadcast interval?  

• 8. Re: CYALKIT-E02 advertising irregular intervals
                        Gyan Chand

Hi,

The default advertising interval is 1 sec.

• 9. Re: CYALKIT-E02 advertising irregular intervals
                          emach1_1955091

Thanks for confirming.  It appears that I do have a faulty BLE sensor.  I've confirmed that the advertising interval on all 4 of my iOS devices and android devices that the advertising intervals are sporadic and irregular ranging from 1sec to 3secs to 30 secs, but never consistently less than 30 seconds.  Can you please help me with exchange/return of the sensor  or let me know what I should do?

• 11. Re: CYALKIT-E02 advertising irregular intervals
                            eifu

Hi 

Many sorry for our late reply. I am application engineer for energy harvesting products. I will answer it.

The CYALKIT-E02 has two mode which are "Demo" and "Timer" mode. Both modes are using a power gating control by S6AE103A power management IC (PMIC) to transmit the advertising packet.  Therefore it can't change the advertisement interval from the firmware if you use the solar energy.  But if you use the USB power that connected the Debug Board with Solar BLE Sensor, you can check the set interval by firmware because the power geting control will be disabled (Refer to step 10 of page 29 on CYALKIT-E02 kit guide)

The following is description for each modes.
                             Demo - The time interval depends on ambient light. In other word, it means energy driven mode. (Refer to Table 3-1. Light Level Versus Time Interval on page 20) 
                             Timer - The time interval fixed 5-min using external capacitor of PMIC
                            For detail, refer to 5.1.4 Internal Timer Setting Block of page 26.

I guess that your issue occurs the demo mode. I will attach a waveform for 3 kind of light power case for CYALKIT-E02. This issue applies to CASE2.

To resolve this issue:
                             1. Change the external capacitor for PMIC timer.
                                    Ex: C9 capacitor 2200-pF -> more big capacitor 
                             2. Disable the PMIC timer function, and then input more brighter light
                                    Ex: Remove C7, C9 and C14 capacitors

CYALKIT-E02 KIT GUIDE

http://www.cypress.com/file/280601/download

Regards
                            Eiji Fukawa