Bootloader on the device is not running. I am trying to upload the file (USBVideoBridge_bulk)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using the Lattice USB3 video bridge development kit (Win10)

1. When I opened the USB 3.0 video configurator by mistake I added the CybootProgrammer (Disc image File) instead of the
USBVideoBridge_bulk

2. Since then, when I tried to load the default file (USBVideoBridge_bulk) it shows me "Bootloader on the device is not
running" I tried to reset the Cypress IC by the FX3 JTAG pins (GND wiht CONN2_RST_N) and it did not work.
I would like to know, how to fix this issue(If there is a way to put it in factory default settings) and be able to upload the
starting files.

Thanks

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suppose you have programmed the CybootProgrammer in the SPI Flash/I2C EEPROM and the boot mode is set to SPI/I2C. Once the CybootProgrammer  is programmed, you will not get the bootloader until  you change the PMODE to USB boot (refer datasheet to see the PMODE for USB boot). 

What is you current PMODE settings (please compare with the datasheet). Please check is there is a fallback option to USB boot. If the PMODE setting allows fallback, then you just need to write some junk data in the memory (then the FX3 will see an invalid .img, and fallback to USB boot). The I2C/SPI read/write are supported by CybootProgrammer (please check the readme file of USBFlashProg example in the SDK.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nishant, 

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have checked the only datasheet provided by Lattice and, it does not mention a fallback option. 

Furthermore, I have looked for the PMODE settings and it does not mention anything either, it only shows where the PMODE pins are located (Schematic). 

I am attaching the PDF given by Lattice. Thank you once again 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Please tell me the PMODE voltage levels you have set before you boot FX3

>> Attaching an image which shows the fallback settings. If the PMODEs are set for USB fallback (on failure), then you can use the read/write wendor command to corrupt the img stored in the EEPROM/Flash.

2) Else make sure you just make the PMODE set as per USB boot (F11), and then restart the device. You should get the bootloader back

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Nishant! it is working now! 

As I am using the Lattice USB3 video bridge development kit, I do not have access to the PMODE pins. So, I had to desolder the resistors and short PMODE1 and PMODE0 (2.5V). After that I restarted the board and I was able to download the firmware.

Cheers   

0 Likes