Bootloader through UART-SPI bridge(?)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

I have a project with 2 PSoC 5LP chips connected via SPI port. The one with SPI Master also has a UART port.

I'm trying to make a Bootloader on the Slave device (using the SPIS component), while the master serves as a UART-SPI bridge. I use the Bootloader Host utility, supplied with PSoC Creator, with a USB-UART converter. Don't have any success with that. The utility reports "Communication port reported error 'Unable to read data from the target device'", after making all kinds of tries...

Can the UART-SPI bridge affect the Bootloader Host - Slave device communication? It's supposed to be only a bridge...

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hello,

There are certain observation from your project-

1.You cannot connect simultaneously the same SPIS component with SPIM and with kitprog or Miniprog3 because the SPIS component port pins can connect either to Kitprog2 (for Bootloader Host) or SPIM at a time.

2.There is no bootloadable project ,why both SPIM and SPIS are having bootloader as component

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee

Can you provide us with your project.

Meanwhile,you can look into this Application Note for help-

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an84401-psoc-3-and-psoc-5lp-spi-bootloader

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

See the attached file.

0 Likes
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee

Hello,

There are certain observation from your project-

1.You cannot connect simultaneously the same SPIS component with SPIM and with kitprog or Miniprog3 because the SPIS component port pins can connect either to Kitprog2 (for Bootloader Host) or SPIM at a time.

2.There is no bootloadable project ,why both SPIM and SPIS are having bootloader as component

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

1) The Master and the Slave are connected to each other via SPI. The master is also connected to Host PC. I don't use Kitprog/Miniprog3. See the attached diagram.

2) This is not my complete project. Only the bootloader part. I added 2 bootloadable projects just as examples (see attached). Both have bootloader component because my Master bootloader has dual purpose - to upgrade its own firmware, and to serve as a bridge between the Host PC and the slave. But right now I only try to implement the bridging functionality, so I don't call Bootloader_Start() in the Master.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

When the host connects to the slave using this bridge, which interface does it use? USB? Does it know that the slave is actually connected via SPI?

0 Likes
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee

Bootloader Host will use USB-SPI bridge for bootloading,it will get to know that bootloader component in the project is using SPI for communication.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

And there is no way to emulate this inside my Master?

0 Likes