how to modify CYALKIT-E02 firmware to mimic iBeacon

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a project with these solar beacons and have the Cypress DevKit firmware modified. I can read it with the Cypress APPS (Win, iOS, Android). What I want to be able to do is read it with one of the generic iOS phone apps which can locate commercial beacons advertising in accordance with the iBeacon Standard (with the Apple Location Framework in xcode). It appears that the beacon advertising packet is very similar if not identical to the apple specification with the minor value (2 bytes #27 and #28) being the 8 bit representation of humidity and temperature. I must be missing something because none of the iOS apps I have tried can identify that it is a beacon even when I put in the UUID. The app I am using is called 'locate' on my iphone. I put the UUID of 00050001-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B0131, with a major of 1, it never appears in 'locate' though it appears in the Cypress App.

What am I missing?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to this page: https://support.kontakt.io/hc/en-gb/articles/201492492-iBeacon-advertising-packet-structure

You need to include the RSSI signal power as the last byte (byte #29)?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am pretty sure that is in there at Byte 29. I figured out that I had not turned on location for the app. D'oh. It shows up in this app, but this is the only app I have tried that can 'see' the beacon.

Still trying to figure this all out as it is a bit confusing. In iOS, there is CoreLocation and CoreBluetooth. It appears that you can 'find' beacons with CoreLocation, but I have not been able to get it to see any in the code I have cobbled together. I do not know if this  'locate' app used CoreBluetooth as well as CoreLocation, but am working on trying to figure this out.

0 Likes