Is the DisplayPort interface supported by USB Type C compatible with eDP? Or is an extra bridge required to interface DP with eDP?
>> This is questions based on DisplayPort SPEC. So that I have to explain the difference between DP and eDP here.
• External display Interface
• Needs to interoperate with any external DP Display
• Many optional features tailored for external display flexibility: HDCP, audio, dual-mode adapters, multi-stream, etc
Embedded DisplayPort (eDP™)
• Internal display interface for PC products
• Uses same GPU video port as external DisplayPort connections
• Examples where eDP would be utilized: notebooks, netbooks, notepads, all-in-one systems
• Based on DisplayPort standard with some modifications Protocol and features optimized for internal display use • Only needs to interoperate with dedicated system display
>> As per VESA DisplayPort Alternate Mode on Type-C, we shall be support DisplayPort.
>> From our solution end, there are shall be no hardware/firmware difference on CCG3 between DP and eDP. But as per VESA DP SEPC, the eDP shall not use it external display Interface.