1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 17, 2017 7:32 PM by lisz

USB Type C to eDP interface

ddarmon_2274791

My system uses a Toshiba TC358860XBG which converts an Embedded Display Port (eDP) video stream into an MIPI DSI stream. I would like to interface a Cypress CCG3 USB Type C controller with the eDP interface of the TC358860.

Is the DisplayPort interface supported by USB Type C compatible with eDP? Or is an extra bridge required to interface DP with eDP? 

Thank you.

• 1. Re: USB Type C to eDP interface
          lisz

Hi Ddarmon,

Is the DisplayPort interface supported by USB Type C compatible with eDP? Or is an extra bridge required to interface DP with eDP?

>> This is questions based on DisplayPort SPEC. So that I have to explain the difference between DP and eDP here.

DisplayPort™

• External display Interface

• Needs to interoperate with any external DP Display

• Many optional features tailored for external display flexibility: HDCP, audio, dual-mode adapters, multi-stream, etc

Embedded DisplayPort (eDP™)

• Internal display interface for PC products

• Uses same GPU video port as external DisplayPort connections

• Examples where eDP would be utilized: notebooks, netbooks, notepads, all-in-one systems

• Based on DisplayPort standard with some modifications Protocol and features optimized for internal display use • Only needs to interoperate with dedicated system display

>> As per VESA DisplayPort Alternate Mode on Type-C, we shall be support DisplayPort.

>> From our solution end, there are shall be no hardware/firmware difference on CCG3 between DP and eDP. But as per VESA DP SEPC, the eDP shall not use it external display Interface.

Best Regards,

Lisa