Relay Attacks with PRoC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello colleagues,

I would like to use one of your PRoC modules for designing one product and I am wondering how it behaves in case of Relay Attack? Is there any countermeasure which I can implement?

Thanks in advance and regards,

Peter

0 Likes
1 Solution
AnjanaM_61
10 questions asked 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

Hi Peter,

By Relay attacks in BLE side, I assume you were talking about the Man in the middle attack which can happen which reults in hacking the over the air data communicating over BLE. If then CyBLE supports the security modes of Unauthenticated / Authenticated Pairing and encryption. And you can whitelist that no other BLE devices should be able to connect. The link will be encrypted and no third person can't interpret the data as well.

Please go through the BLE security modes in the BLE spec for better understanding.

Regards,
Anjana

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Relay attack: Initiating connections to both devices, and then relaying communication between them.

Relay Attacks are more of a application-level issue, as there is no way to verify at the hardware level that the device you are communicating with is who it says it is without an authentication procedure, which can be relayed. Reading: http://www.nedapsecurity.com/sites/default/files/whitepaper-relayattack-online.pdf

It seems that protecting the user-side with a faraday cage, implementing a simple timing to prevent extraneous timing being used in access (typical speeds will increase for relay attacks), and a proximity check to prevent card access outside the allowed boundaries of usage.

0 Likes
AnjanaM_61
10 questions asked 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

Hi Peter,

By Relay attacks in BLE side, I assume you were talking about the Man in the middle attack which can happen which reults in hacking the over the air data communicating over BLE. If then CyBLE supports the security modes of Unauthenticated / Authenticated Pairing and encryption. And you can whitelist that no other BLE devices should be able to connect. The link will be encrypted and no third person can't interpret the data as well.

Please go through the BLE security modes in the BLE spec for better understanding.

Regards,
Anjana

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi colleagues, Thanks for the answers. They really help me. Best, Peter   
0 Likes