Psoc 4 BLE power consumption and data length

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Dirk_6716
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hello,

I had assumed that sending less data over BLE in a single connection event would decrease the power consumption.

I decreased the number of bytes sent over BLE by changing the data_length using methods as shown below

- XXXindicationHandle.value.len = data_length/2;

- XXXindicationHandle.value.actualLen = data_length/2;

- decreasing characteristic length in the Configure 'BLE' tab accessible in the top design.

However, the power consumption remains the same.

Please help!

THanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello,

1. Please refer to the recommendations for implementing the low power application in BLE from AN92584 datasheet.

2. Please make sure that the debugging was disabled in the project to reduce current consumption. In Design Wide Resources Go to "system" view and change the "Debug Select" to GPIO.

3. Please put the GPIO pins to Analog High Z mode whenever pins are not used and can switch back to normal drive mode when pins are used. Please refer to the section 6.3 GPIOs in AN86233.

4. Could you please let me know the part number which you are using ? In Bluetooth 4.2, a lower number of transactions are required to transfer a given amount of data compared to Bluetooth 4.1. This reduces the time for which the radio is active and allows the device to remain in a low-power mode for a longer duration, thereby reducing the average current consumption.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello,

1. Please refer to the recommendations for implementing the low power application in BLE from AN92584 datasheet.

2. Please make sure that the debugging was disabled in the project to reduce current consumption. In Design Wide Resources Go to "system" view and change the "Debug Select" to GPIO.

3. Please put the GPIO pins to Analog High Z mode whenever pins are not used and can switch back to normal drive mode when pins are used. Please refer to the section 6.3 GPIOs in AN86233.

4. Could you please let me know the part number which you are using ? In Bluetooth 4.2, a lower number of transactions are required to transfer a given amount of data compared to Bluetooth 4.1. This reduces the time for which the radio is active and allows the device to remain in a low-power mode for a longer duration, thereby reducing the average current consumption.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.