Problem to solder CYBLE module.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
zakmen
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Dear all

We are using your CYBLE-22014 module in our product.

In the past we used the CYBLE-022001. The two module are compatible in terms of pinout and software but there is a differences in the HW pins (the below pads of the module).

In the attached image you can see that in the left module (022001) pads reach the border of the module and are also visible along the border. On the right (220014) you can see that pads are more thin and also doesn't reach the border, so remain only below the module and aren't visible along the border.

In the past we haven't problem to solder modules and in case of some defect in solder we are able to recover the problem by passing a soldering iron along the edge of the module (because pads are visibles).

With this new pads we have a lots of problem to fix correctly the module on the PCB also because, I suspect, moduler aren't exactly flat and for this reason doesn't contact solder past. ( i suppose that could be just a little bit concave  due to soldering process to mout component on the module).

I've tried all possibility by changing pads dimension, solder past dimensions and also by avoiding ground plain that could change thermal behaviour . Is very difficult for me to find some capable to solder it without problem. Sometimes our product return to our factory because after some time module will disconnect from PCB (flexing or falling probably).

This is a very big problem for us because we have to rework our modules using hot-air with the possibility to damage it.

Have you some suggestion for a correct soldering process or pcb design ?

Thanks

Giacomo

0 Likes
1 Solution
Owen_Zhang123
5 questions asked 500 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

The maximum peak temperature is 260°C. But in your reflow profile, the maximum temperature is 420°C which may damage the device.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Owen_Zhang123

Are you using reflow soldering?

Do you satisfy the spec in the datasheet?

Owen_Zhang123_0-1622708423484.png

0 Likes

We use reflow soldering.

We used only one cycle of 30seconds with oven at 420°C (at least 250°C on the PCB).

We use lead-free tin.

What's the suggested procedure for two cycle ? The temperature of the pcb must be decreased before second cycle ? Do you have some suggestion to avoid that module "float" during oven treatement ?

I want to try to use tin with lead, for the well known issue of lead-free tin. Also we tried a glue point to avoid any movement of the modules. 

Let me know.

Thanks

Giacomo

0 Likes
Owen_Zhang123

Could you share the reflow profile for us to check?

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
zakmen
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Dear All

Sorry for delay but I wait the information from my producer.

Attached you can find images of profile and the table of temperatures/time.

Consider that we used profile 8 and graph lead free.

I can’t provide you the profile of other producer used in Cina (PCBWay) but however they have had same problem in solder modules. In particular they refund me parts of the production because when I received pcbs was clear that they had reworked board with hot air (pcb silk screen changed color in some parts !!!) 

I think that your modules are critical in solder and probably you need to review the PCB by using border pads like more module in the market (GSM,whfi ecc….).

Thanks

Giacomo

0 Likes
Owen_Zhang123

The maximum peak temperature is 260°C. But in your reflow profile, the maximum temperature is 420°C which may damage the device.

0 Likes