Need help to make cyw20719b1kumblg work.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
parrthpanchal
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hi,

I need help to get started with cyw2071b1kumblg, I have used it on a custom board and I am not able to check whether it is working or not and following are the reasons.

1. I am not able to find the SDK provided by Cypress for this Soc also there is no option in the WICED-Studio for selecting the board support package like they show in the user guide.

Screenshot from 2021-03-23 16-11-35.png

2. I downloaded the CyBlueTool from here and when I  send the reset command there is no response from the chip.

03/23/21 16:15:26.542 com9@115200 c> Reset
HCI Command
com9@115200
[03 0C 00 ]
opcode = 0x0C03 (3075, "Reset")

Could someone help me with the debugging and making the Soc to work?

PS: Any links to the useful resources will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Parth

0 Likes
1 Solution

There are two UART- HCI and Peripheral UART.

HCI UART is used for programming the device. You can check more details in CYW20719 datasheet section 6.

We have an evaluation board for CYW20719- CYW920719Q40EVB-01. You can refer the connections of this board and try to replicate the same on your custom board. Pin configurations can be checked here- /20719-B1_Bluetooth/platforms/CYW920719Q40EVB_01

CYW20719B1 Product Guide  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
15 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi Parth,

Firstly, install a fresh version of WICED Studio 6.4 from here: https://www.cypress.com/products/wiced-software

Now you should be able to see different workspaces in Project Explorer. If not, then check if WICED Filter off is selected as below:

SheetalJ_0-1616526063188.png

Regarding your custom board, I assume you have reviewed your design schematics and everything is correct. You will have to use HCI UART for programming. make sure HCI UART is not open anywhere else, for ex Teraterm,Putty.

Try recovering the board before sending Reset command from CyBluetool. First check if you are able to program the board using WICED SDK.

CyBluetool User's Guide  

CyBluetool (Windows Installer)  

lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hello @SheetalJ ,

I have installed a fresh copy of Wiced-Studio from the link that you shared in your reply but still I can see only 1 folder 43xxx_Wifi in the project workspace. WICED.png

Is there anything else that I need to change other than turning Wiced-Filters Off?

Also could you please have a look at the schematic of my custom board and tell me if I had made any kind of mistake?

I've attached the PDF of schematics with this post.

Thank you for your valuable time and effort,

Parth

0 Likes

Edit:

Have you installed WICED 6.6? Standalone Bluetooth chips are not supported in WICED 6.6.

Please install WICED 6.4  or 6.2.1 from  WICED Studio Archive 

Also, in schematics, I dont think RST pin should be connected to ground. Also, please check connection of host_wake pin.

SheetalJ_0-1616585651403.png

0 Likes

Hi @SheetalJ ,

I have downloaded Wiced-Studio  6.2.1 and it includes the SDK 20719_Bluetooth which I was looking for!!

However I am not able to understand the the function of the host_wake pin?

Could you please elaborate are there 2 UART peripherals in the Soc and they are seperate or there is only one and we have to switch between them for Programming?

I looked into the datasheet but wasn't able to understand ;_; !!

Thanks,

Parth

PS: Could you please tell me what changes do I need to make in my board to get things done?

0 Likes

There are two UART- HCI and Peripheral UART.

HCI UART is used for programming the device. You can check more details in CYW20719 datasheet section 6.

We have an evaluation board for CYW20719- CYW920719Q40EVB-01. You can refer the connections of this board and try to replicate the same on your custom board. Pin configurations can be checked here- /20719-B1_Bluetooth/platforms/CYW920719Q40EVB_01

CYW20719B1 Product Guide  

0 Likes

Thank you for your time and effort @SheetalJ,

We have referred the  schematic of the evaluation board and also have followed the product guide but still we got no success in making the Soc to work.

Do I need to make any changes in the firmware to enable the HCI UART?

Also I am still not able to understand the function of host_wake pin even after looking into the datasheet!

Could you please elaborate how to use HCI UART and what is the role of host_wake pin in it?

0 Likes

The host_wake pin operation is explained in datasheet UART section. 

No extra changes are needed to enable HCI UART.  You simply need to send HCI commands to HCI UART. Try sending Reset command, it should give a Success. Can you try using CyBluetool to send reset command first? If it works means your board is responding. 

FYI- cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cyw920719q40evb-01-evaluation-kit
Board schematics is given here.

@SheetalJ  Now, I am able to send reset command using the Cybluetool and it shows success in log as below.

04/01/21 17:43:55.748  com9 <c Reset
  HCI Command Complete Event
com9@115200
[0E 04 ]: 01 03 0C 00
event = 0x0E (14,"Command Complete")
Num_HCI_Command_Packets = 0x1 (1)
Command_Opcode = 0xC03 (3075, "Reset")
Status = 0x0 (0, "Success", "Success")

But when I am trying to upload an example code using the wiced studio it fails and the following message is shown in the console.

UART: COM9 CHIPLOAD_BAUDRATE: CHIPLOAD_SKIP_RESET
"../wiced_tools/common/Win32/echo.exe" Downloading application... && ..\wiced_tools\ChipLoad\Win32\ChipLoad.exe -BLUETOOLMODE -PORT COM9 -BAUDRATE    -NOVERIFY -CHECKCRC -MINIDRIVER platforms/minidriver-20739A0-uart.hex -BTP platforms/20719_OCF.btp -CONFIG build/hello_client-CYW920719Q40EVB_01-rom-ram-Wiced-release/hello_client-CYW920719Q40EVB_01-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex -LOGTO build/hello_client-CYW920719Q40EVB_01-rom-ram-Wiced-release/logto.log > build/hello_client-CYW920719Q40EVB_01-rom-ram-Wiced-release/download.log 2>&1 && "../wiced_tools/common/Win32/echo.exe" Download complete && "../wiced_tools/common/Win32/echo.exe" && "../wiced_tools/common/Win32/echo.exe" "Application running." || ("../wiced_tools/common/Win32/echo.exe" "****Download failed ****" && "..\wiced_tools\common\Win32\perl.exe" ../wiced_tools/aft/aft.pl 4 build/hello_client-CYW920719Q40EVB_01-rom-ram-Wiced-release/download.log && "../wiced_tools/common/Win32/echo.exe" Download failed. This WICED platform of the SDK only supports download to 207x9B1 devices.&& "../wiced_tools/common/Win32/echo.exe" "Follow the instructions in the 20719-B1 README.txt for downloading the application.")
Downloading application...
****Download failed ****
Downloaded 0 code bytes ( 0.0%) and 0 data bytes ( 0.0%). Verified 0 code bytes ( 0.0%) and 0 data bytes ( 0.0%).   Current state: Terminated with error
Failed to execute HCI Reset
Download failed. This WICED platform of the SDK only supports download to 207x9B1 devices.
Follow the instructions in the 20719-B1 README.txt for downloading the application.19:34:36 Build Finished (took 11s.339ms)

FYI - I have followed the instructions given in README.txt.

What could be the reason for this ?

0 Likes

Hi @SheetalJ ,

I somehow made the board to work and now I am able to upload and run firmware successfully.

I want to make it work as an audio-sink device.

Are there any examples provided by cypress for this bluetooth profile in the bluetooth sdk ?

0 Likes

CYW20719 doesnot support A2DP sink option; it only supports A2DP source.

https://community.cypress.com/t5/Public-Archive/WICED-Bluetooth-Software-Features/m-p/249175#M4167

0 Likes

Is it supported by CYW20719B2?

0 Likes

No it is not.

For A2DP sink, you can look a CYW20706 and CYW20721 chips.

0 Likes

By not supported by CYW20719 Do you mean that it is not supported  in WICED or it is not supported in Soc?

I would have to change all of my designs I guess!!

PS: I can see that CYW20721 and CYW20719 have same architecture.

Can I use CYW20721 with the same designs or can I do Audio Sink on my own?

0 Likes

The chip itself doesn't support A2DP sink functionality. This is documented clearly on Cypress community at multiple places.

You can think of replacing CYW20719 with CYW20721/CYW20721B2, 20721 is a full audio solution by Cypress. There might be some changes in design though, you will have to get it checked first. 

0 Likes

You are right It is documented in the community but no one looks at the community before looking at the datasheet especially the newbies.

In the datasheet you people have mentioned that this chipset supports the A2DP but it is not mentioned whether it supports the source or sink profile and It seems that without A2DP sink we can not implement the the Bluetooth Headset .

We have spent 3 months on prototyping and have bought already 20 pieces of this SoCs , And later we came to know it does not support A2DP sink.

Please mention these things clearly in the documentation so that people like us could develop hardware without facing difficulties like this.

0 Likes