BLE 5.0 dongle

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jimctr
Level 2
Level 2
First like received 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Does a Cypress BLE 5.0 Compatible Dongle exist to act as a central device in a USB-BLE bridge?

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi,

HCI UART is used for programming the device by putting it on download mode. But it can be used to communicate with the host application as well using WICED HCI Control protocol. PUART is mainly used for debugging and interfacing other peripherals. The main disadvantages, in my opinion, is it does not have Flow Control and smaller hardware buffer size.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
jimctr
Level 2
Level 2
First like received 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

I believe the answer is no to this - I have only seen a cypress BLE 4.2 Dongle board.  Follow up question would be then this.  It seems like a good candidate for a bluetooth 5 dongle would be CYBT-353027-02, due to its small form factor, but it looks like you are stuck in the paradigm of having to program the device over HCI Uart and then have the application run with the PUART for the ble bridge part (please correct me if I am misunderstanding this).   This means large dip switches to switch between programming mode and application mode (I am referencing the eval kit doucments), which is not very practical from the standpoint of a small form factor usb dongle and also not practical from a manufacturing standpoint.  

0 Likes
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi,

HCI UART is used for programming the device by putting it on download mode. But it can be used to communicate with the host application as well using WICED HCI Control protocol. PUART is mainly used for debugging and interfacing other peripherals. The main disadvantages, in my opinion, is it does not have Flow Control and smaller hardware buffer size.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes