cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WICED Studio Wi-Fi Combo

agmi_3321141
Contributor

Hi  - How to check if ble_observe was successfully started? When the API wiced_bt_ble_observe is called, it returns "pending" result. It eventually starts after a while, so how can I conclusively check if it went from pending to success, in the case that it somehow failed? Is that status returned to the callback?

Second question is how when observer role needs to be stopped, does the API need the callback fn pointer?

0 Likes
1 Solution
SheetalJ
Moderator
Moderator

1. Logically the API should return success. I will check this once and update.

2. There is no need to pass any callback to stop the observer functionality.

You are correct, we do not have any API to check if the role is running successfully or not.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
SheetalJ
Moderator
Moderator

Hi agmi_3321141​,

Can you please provide details about the Cypress product, software (WICED Studio or Modus Toolbox or others) and application you are using?

0 Likes
agmi_3321141
Contributor

CYW43438, WICED SDK 6.4. Please also advice on how to check status of observer role, ie if any API can be used to check if observer role is on or off.

0 Likes
SheetalJ
Moderator
Moderator

1. The API will return the status wiced_result_t. There is no callback for the return status checking.

2. When you want to stop the observe functionality, call the API wiced_bt_ble_observe with FALSE parameter (first parameter-start).

The API will call the callback p_scan_result_cback with scan results.

agmi_3321141
Contributor

Hi - Thanks for the answer, but I don't think you answered my questions.

1 - As I mentioned in my first post, the API returns "pending" as status result. Does that mean it will always successfully start, or can it still fail? I am not sure, can you clarify?

2 - My question was if it is required to pass a callback when observer role needs to stop. Will this callback give any status result about change in role?

If I understood correctly, you are saying there is no API to check if BLE observer role is currently running successfully or not? Checking the callback may not be a good way to test/verify if the role is running since there is not guarantee of a BLE device in vicinity.

0 Likes
SheetalJ
Moderator
Moderator

1. Logically the API should return success. I will check this once and update.

2. There is no need to pass any callback to stop the observer functionality.

You are correct, we do not have any API to check if the role is running successfully or not.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
agmi_3321141
Contributor

1. Logically the API should return success. I will check this once and update.

Do you have any update?

0 Likes
agmi_3321141
Contributor

Hi - do you have any update

0 Likes
AxLi_1746341
Honored Contributor

SheetalJ_96 wrote:

1. Logically the API should return success. I will check this once and update.

Are you sure?

wiced_bt_ble_observe() never returns WICED_SUCCESS in my test.

It seems return WICED_PENDING when success.

agmi_3321141
Contributor

wiced_bt_ble_observe() never returns WICED_SUCCESS in my test.

It seems return WICED_PENDING when success.

This has been my observation as well. I have mentioned this in my original post too, but I have not received any confirmation on how to check a successful start/or status check.

0 Likes
AxLi_1746341
Honored Contributor

agmi_3321141 wrote:

CYW43438, WICED SDK 6.4. Please also advice on how to check status of observer role, ie if any API can be used to check if observer role is on or off.

FYI,

I just found a bug in SDK-6.4 BT library -- the rssi in scan result is 0.

Test steps:

1. Use android phone and run "nRF Connect" as advertiser to broadcast some data

2. Run wiced_bt_ble_observe() or wiced_bt_ble_scan() and check the scan result, the rssi is 0.

PS. The RSSI was correct in older sdk, only WICED 6.4.0 has this problem.

0 Likes
AxLi_1746341
Honored Contributor

AxLi_1746341 wrote:

agmi_3321141 wrote:

CYW43438, WICED SDK 6.4. Please also advice on how to check status of observer role, ie if any API can be used to check if observer role is on or off.

FYI,

I just found a bug in SDK-6.4 BT library -- the rssi in scan result is 0.

Test steps:

1. Use android phone and run "nRF Connect" as advertiser to broadcast some data

2. Run wiced_bt_ble_observe() or wiced_bt_ble_scan() and check the scan result, the rssi is 0.

PS. The RSSI was correct in older sdk, only WICED 6.4.0 has this problem.

WICES-6.6 still got RSSI = 0 in scan result with above test step.

This is a regression since wiced-6.4 but unfortunately no fix in new release.

0 Likes
AxLi_1746341
Honored Contributor

AxLi_1746341 wrote:

AxLi_1746341 wrote:

agmi_3321141 wrote:

CYW43438, WICED SDK 6.4. Please also advice on how to check status of observer role, ie if any API can be used to check if observer role is on or off.

FYI,

I just found a bug in SDK-6.4 BT library -- the rssi in scan result is 0.

Test steps:

1. Use android phone and run "nRF Connect" as advertiser to broadcast some data

2. Run wiced_bt_ble_observe() or wiced_bt_ble_scan() and check the scan result, the rssi is 0.

PS. The RSSI was correct in older sdk, only WICED 6.4.0 has this problem.

WICES-6.6 still got RSSI = 0 in scan result with above test step.

This is a regression since wiced-6.4 but unfortunately no fix in new release.

SheetalJ_96

Just wondering if this regression will be fixed or not?

(Reproduce step is simple as mentioned above.)

0 Likes