snip.scan not finding all APs

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I'm trying out the snip.scan example app and see that it doesn't find all local APs.  The scan result produced lists several APs in the area, but not the office AP.

I'm using SDK 3.1.2, and the app is built using `snip.scan-BCM943362WCD4-ThreadX-NetX-SDIO download run`.

The network that's not being found is 2.4GHz, 802.11n, infrastructure, WPA2 Personal, available as 2 APs on channels 1 and 6. S/N ca. -53/95 dBm.

There are about 20 other APs in the area, so it's quite crowded.

Is there anything I can do to fix the problem, such as settings inside the WICED SDK that might help?

Best Regards,

mat.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

For anyone following - we eventually found the cause of this. The scan handler receives a NULL length SSID for APs that don't broadcast their SSID.  We were pushing scan results to a queue and using a NULL SSID as a sentinel to indicate to another thread that the scan was complete.

I suggest adding this to the documentation for the scan callback so that it's clear the SSID length can be length 0 in practice.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
GregG_16
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 25 comments on KBA

Is it 20MHz?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by "it".

0 Likes

Are the other APs set for 20/40 or 40MHz only channel BW.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The other APs are a mix of 20/40/80 MHz channel width. I can PM you the complete list if you need it.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

For anyone following - we eventually found the cause of this. The scan handler receives a NULL length SSID for APs that don't broadcast their SSID.  We were pushing scan results to a queue and using a NULL SSID as a sentinel to indicate to another thread that the scan was complete.

I suggest adding this to the documentation for the scan callback so that it's clear the SSID length can be length 0 in practice.

0 Likes