Wi-Fi AP advanced configuration

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
madrc_3990841
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Dear All,

I'd like to get the "channel utilization" parameter when using AP mode in Raspberry Pi. When configuring hostapd service according to general linux configs:

# Channel utilization averaging period (in BUs)

# This field is used to enable and configure channel utilization average

# calculation with bss_load_update_period. This should be in multiples of

# bss_load_update_period for more accurate calculation.

bss_load_update_period=50

chan_util_avg_period=600

it makes the hostapd crash (sudo service hostapd start) shows an error and doesnt start.

How can I get this parameter up and running.

AND/OR - where from can I get the information of what is allowed when configuring all the Wi-Fi parameters - e.g. sudo iw dev wlan0 set txpower fixed 1000 works fine, but other parameters does not have any effect (e.g. not using certain rates/mcs's). How to get a list with allowed changed parameters for the wifi driver?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Try checking out the following patch for hostapd source

hostap - hostapd/wpa_supplicant

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Hello:

bss_load_update_period=50,  for this one I have seen this function has been supported in supplicant from 2015.

but I can't find any info from hostapd  on this setting from hostapd.conf reference,  would you please show more details? chan_util_avg_period=600

Hi,

thanks for the reply. Yes, bss_load_update_period=50 does not make the hostapd crash. But when adding channel_util_avg_period, it does.

The hostapd.conf reference (https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/plain/hostapd/hostapd.conf 😞 has both items - i.e. the channel utilization is just below the bss_load_update_period in this file/web.

# BSS Load update period (in BUs)

# This field is used to enable and configure adding a BSS Load element into

# Beacon and Probe Response frames.

#bss_load_update_period=50

# Channel utilization averaging period (in BUs)

# This field is used to enable and configure channel utilization average

# calculation with bss_load_update_period. This should be in multiples of

# bss_load_update_period for more accurate calculation.

#chan_util_avg_period=600

Another question is, how you can get the result from it to the console, i.e. the value it calculates?

0 Likes

hello:

I think you need a check in the hostapd code to see if  chan_util_avg_period is included in your version.

or you can take a newest hostapd ,supplicant code to compile a new one , and replace it in your system .

Thanks - how to check this? I.e. is there a command that shows which parameters/functions are included to be used in hostapd?

0 Likes

Try checking out the following patch for hostapd source

hostap - hostapd/wpa_supplicant

Regards

0 Likes