What options are available to program CYW4343x based modules?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

Specifically, where are options to program Murata's 1LD defined?

Could attempts to program be putting code into RAM or the wrong place in flash?
Attempts to program report the device is erased and programmed. After a reset, it reverts back to previous code functionality.

What is the proper way to program via Wiced into flash?
What is the proper way to program the elf file using Segger J-Link

0 Likes
1 Solution

Greg,

I am assuming that Murata based the Type 1LD platform files they provide on a prior version of WICED, not version 6.6 which is currently on the website. As such, it probably makes sense for the customer to start with the version of WICED they based their offering on.

I spoke to Murata's broad market support manager for NA and he thinks it make senses to create a similar inquiry on the Murata Community forum here: https://community.murata.com/s/topic/0TO5F0000002TLWWA2/connectivity-modules-wifibt

Someone from his team will review the request and offer some for of guidance in the next day or two.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Aditi_B
500 replies posted 5 questions asked 250 replies posted

Hi,

Correct me, if I am wrong, but is it that you're trying to program Murata1LD board and it's failing? What's your make target? I assume you have the relevant MurataType1LD platform files with you in the WICED STUDIO. 

To program via WICED, you can do

1. Clean - In the Make Target window, you can select the "clean" option.

2. Provide a Make Target- <Your application path>-<Your platform> download run. For ex:snip.scan-CYW943907AEVAL1F download run

3. You can then build the project by double clicking this make target. You will then see the build logs in the console.

For programming the WICED applications via Segger J-link, you can follow the steps provided in this thread-->

Solved: why don´t down load with jlink segger in CYW95407... - Cypress Developer Community

Let me know if you face issues.

Thanks

Aditi

Aditi_B

Hi,

Were you able to program the Murata1LD board?

Thanks

0 Likes

Aditi B,

The issue has not been resolved.
The more I learn, the more questions I have. Unfortunately, I don't know enough yet to ask the correct questions. If reference materials are available to help me resolve my questions, please point me in the proper direction.

There appears to be an issue with missing or incorrect files and who provides those files.
I don't yet understand the entire process from build through programmming to understand the dependencies.

I have learned platform files for WICED are provided by the module manufacturer and not Infineon/Cypress.
Those platform files can be copied into WICED to add a new directory under "platforms" to describe the target module.
Those platform files also contain files to replace existing files within WICED. I'm hesitant to replace files without knowing what the change is. I program many different types of modules using WICED. The process normally just works so I haven't been concerned. With the replacement files from the module manufacturer, there's no clear revision history to indicate how they've changed. I don't know if I'm replacing newer versions that resolved issues for other module manufacturers.

I also learned there are .cfg files that describe the ST microprocessors used in many WICED radio modules. One of the initial issues I was seeing was due to the build process not being able to find a specific STM32F4...cfg file.
Running a clean before build, then looking in the build folder within WICED after a build reveals additional and specific errors. My previous reliance on the console was limiting me from finding more clues.

Open questions:
- Is there a method to compare individual files in WICED with those provided within platform files from module manufacturers other than a line by line compare of each file?
- Who provides the STM32...cfg files? Is there a repository where the most recent versions or list of know dependencies are maintained? Maybe a github?
- Within the OpenOCD under tools are additional .cfg files. Are those files sourced only from Infineon/Cypress when WICED is downloaded or is there a repository for those files somewhere?

0 Likes
Aditi_B

Hi,

Okay, first of all please provide us with the target board you have and also if it's a Murata platform, have Murata provided the platform files for it? 

Regarding your queries,

1. Instead of line by line comparison, you can use the "compare" pluggin provided in Notepad++ or can use the "diff" command. In windows, it's "FC (File Compare)".

2  and 3. I presume the STM32....cfg files you are pointing to is the one that is present under the OpenOCD folder in WICED. If you download OpenOCD, you'll see in the installer directory there will be a "scripts" folder which will have various .cfg files corresponding to boards, targets, tools, cpu etc. These .cfg files are standard files that are provided by OpenOCD. You can check them here- https://github.com/sysprogs/openocd/blob/master/tcl/target/stm32f4x.cfg.

But, you can modify these standard .cfg files according to your requirements and the target that you have. You can compare the stm32f4x.cfg present in WICED and the standard one provided by OpenOCD. Some additions and modifications have been done. It's according to your requirement you include and modify the respective .cfg files. But, yes the .cfg files you see under the OpenOCD folder in WICED is packaged in the SDK itself and is modified accordingly and will get downloaded when the SDK is downloaded. 

In short, the standard .cfg files from OpenOCD are taken (not all but the ones IDE requires) and modified according to the requirements and target.

Thanks

Aditi

0 Likes

Aditi,

Thanks for sticking with me.

This is for a custom board with a Murata Type 1LD module.

Yes, Murata has provided the platform files.

1. Yes. Running a file compare will show me differences. Will it then be obvious if code was added or removed to understand which file is newer and which platforms any changes may affect? Alternatively, is there a "Golden Set" of WICED files that are maintained as the latest and greatest that I could use as a basis to compare files?

2 and 3. Thank you. Your answer resolves my concern and provides a location to find the source of original .cfg files. Perfect.

Greg

0 Likes
Aditi_B

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Regarding your query on file compare, can you tell us which files are you exactly comparing in WICED? There are various files in WICED, so answer to this will provide us with more clarity to resolve your query.

Thanks

Aditi

0 Likes
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

Aditi,

Each module will be different.

Here's a list of 23 files that Murata provides with their Type 1LD module. 

The first  8 are unique, specifically supporting the Type 1LD platform.

The remaining 15 files replace files in the WICED file system. 

So my question for this specific module: Are these 15 replacement files newer or older than files provided with any specific WICED version or any other module supplier's files?

Action File Name
New MurataType1LD.mk
New platform.c
New platform.h
New platform_config.h
New README.txt
New Type1LD_EVB_Daughter_ES2_Schematic.pdf
New Type1LD_EVB_MAIN_ES2_Schematic.pdf
New wifi_nvram_image.h
Replace ble_hello_sensor.mk
Replace bt_bus.c
Replace bt_firmware.c
Replace bt_mfg_test.c
Replace bt_mfg_test.mk
Replace console.mk
Replace platform_i2c.c
Replace platform_mcu_peripheral.h
Replace platform_peripheral.h
Replace platform_uart.c
Replace spi_flash.c
Replace spi_flash.mk
Replace spi_flash_internal.h
Replace stm32f4xx_usart.c
Replace stm32f4xx_usart.h

Greg

0 Likes

Greg,

I am assuming that Murata based the Type 1LD platform files they provide on a prior version of WICED, not version 6.6 which is currently on the website. As such, it probably makes sense for the customer to start with the version of WICED they based their offering on.

I spoke to Murata's broad market support manager for NA and he thinks it make senses to create a similar inquiry on the Murata Community forum here: https://community.murata.com/s/topic/0TO5F0000002TLWWA2/connectivity-modules-wifibt

Someone from his team will review the request and offer some for of guidance in the next day or two.

Aditi_B

Hi, 

I'll check with the internal team on this query and update you. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Aditi

0 Likes