What is WICED SDK?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello there,

I'm new to this BCM43438 development and this WICED SDK. Due to the limited information online, I get confused about this SDK and the process of the whole bluetooth development. Here are some questions and really looking forward to get response.

1. What is WICED SDK in a nutshell? Does it provide development environment for BCM chip only or it provide whole solution for BCM and the MCU which connected to BCM?
  2. If WICED provide whole solution, then after make command there should have two firmware that one for BCM chip and another for MCU. Is that correct?
  3. What is the link between WICED SDK and 3rd-party BTstack (bluekitchen BTStack for example). Some saying WICED integrated a close-source BTstack. Where this stack root at? BCM or MCU? How can I replace the stack with an open-source one?
  4. Does BCM chip enable user features with WICED SDK? or this SDK is only for bluetooth-HOST MCU development?
  5. Whats the difference between standard HCI protocol and BCM-defined HCI protocol? Does BCM chip happy with pure HCI protocol?
  6. I read that BCM43438 need an init. script to boot up. What that init. script do exactly? Do I need to send this script every time when the board power up? If I want to use a self-developed MCU as a bluetooth host, and BCM 43438 as a bluetooth controller only, what is the steps i need to proceed before the BCM chip can functional normally that work with standard HCI interface?

Some questions are quite noob... but to be honest I really have try my best on searching and learning. Unclear information make me confused and things getting worse... Really appreciate for the help! Sorry for the long post, here is the potato. O  

0 Likes
1 Solution
VinayakS_26
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted
0 Likes
5 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog
  • What is WICED SDK in a nutshell? Does it provide development environment for BCM chip only or it provide whole solution for BCM and the MCU which connected to BCM?

Development environment which assumes you are using a module with an integrated MCU ("Black Box Model"). Some module partners such as LSR​ have developed solutions with WICED which run on an external MCU (STM32 only) with their radio only solution.

• If WICED provide whole solution, then after make command there should have two firmware that one for BCM chip and another for MCU. Is that correct?

The development environment will handle the creation and loading of firmware for you.

What is the link between WICED SDK and 3rd-party BTstack (bluekitchen BTStack for example). Some saying WICED integrated a close-source BTstack. Where this stack root at? BCM or MCU? How can I replace the stack with an open-source one?

We provide our own Bluetooth Stack called BTE within WICED.  Third party BT stacks are not supported within the broad market.

• Does BCM chip enable user features with WICED SDK? or this SDK is only for bluetooth-HOST MCU development?

There are sample bluetooth apps within the SDK.

• Whats the difference between standard HCI protocol and BCM-defined HCI protocol? Does BCM chip happy with pure HCI protocol?

While the application may use the HCI interface internally, we do not provide a way to directly access the BT part over HCI.

• I read that BCM43438 need an init. script to boot up. What that init. script do exactly? Do I need to send this script every time when the board power up? If I want to use a self-developed MCU as a bluetooth host, and BCM 43438 as a bluetooth controller only, what is the steps i need to proceed before the BCM chip can functional normally that work with standard HCI interface?

The WICED SDK has a somewhat higher barrier to entry as compared to many of the higher level OSs from our partners.  If you are really only interested in Bluetooth, then you will probably want to look at the Atmosphere based kit from Anaren​. If you need BT + WiFi, the Inventek Systems​ ISMART software provides a very easy to use interface that you can have running in a matter of days as opposed to months.

There is a good tutorial of Inventek's solution here: Video Link : 1486

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really appreciate for your reply! Its really helpful and clear my mind. Some follow up quick question:

1. That is to say WICED SDK is for MCU+BCM as a whole black box. WICED SDK handle all the heavy lifting about linking between two chip and firmware downloading etc. Or the MCU means the ARM core in BCM chipset?

2. Can I simply use pure HCI CMD with BCM43455 chipset? WICED free development.

3. And about the init. script. Where should I look for more info..?

0 Likes

Correct.

You need an eval board to use with WICED.  The eval board needs to be supported with platform files inside of WICED.  The 4343W is a better choice for Combo as the 43455 is not yet available

The IoT Solutions Guide​ has the 4343W EVK PN.  You can buy one of these from one of our Distributors

Not sure which scripts you are referring to.  Install the SDK and look at our sample apps.  Note that this document, while a little dated, is still a good source to get up and running with the dev, environment: WICED™ Development System Quick Start Guide

0 Likes
VinayakS_26
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted
0 Likes