WWD_WLAN_BADARG when trying to set Country Code to WICED_COUNTRY_KOREA_REPUBLIC_OF in SDK 6.1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_108962310
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes received 10 likes given 5 likes given

I am hitting a breakpoint error when I have WICED_COUNTRY_CODE set to WICED_COUNTRY_KOREA_REPUBLIC_OF in the platform dct at compile/flash time.

The breakpoint is in wwd_management_wifi_on after the call:

retval = wwd_sdpcm_send_iovar( SDPCM_SET, buffer, 0, WWD_STA_INTERFACE );

Other country code settings work, such as CHINA, UNITED_STATES, JAPAN, and KIRIBATI.

This in SDK 6.1. This problem exists for both wifi in on-chip resources and loaded from the WICEDFS from sflash.
This occurs for both debug and release builds.

The WiFi FW & clm blob versions are reported as:

WLAN Firmware    : wl0: Feb 12 2018 04:08:14 version 7.79.2 (r683798 CY) FWID 01-27b63357

WLAN CLM         : API: 12.2 Data: 9.10.39 Compiler: 1.29.4 ClmImport: 1.36.3 Creation: 2018-02-12 04:00:50

One note is that I am using SLOW_SDIO_CLOCK for other reasons, but the problem appears to persist even with that option turned off.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Andrew:

I want to know the table also as well as you.   I just update my checking channel commands on a blog.

please take it as a reference when you are doing country code check , thanks.

How to add wifi test commands for command console application in wiced SDK.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
AxLi_1746341
Level 7
Level 7
10 comments on KBA 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

I just tested WICED_COUNTRY_KOREA_REPUBLIC_OF, and confirm the same error:Could not set Country code

Looks like sdk bug. I remember it was fine in older sdks.

Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Hi  Andrew:

I have a test based on 43340 firmware,  Actually, the default  KR/1 can't be set successfully.

you can change the set to KR/0  or KR/4,  seems KR/4 can support most channels like below results.

> get_country

Country is KR (KR/4)

> get_channels

wwd_wifi_get_channels  : 36

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  34  36  38  40  42  44  46  48  52  56  60  64  100  104  108  112  116  120  124  149  153  157   157

161  >

you need to change the rev to 4 if needed.

WICED_COUNTRY_KOREA_REPUBLIC_OF                               = MK_CNTRY( 'K', 'R', 4 ),             /* KR Korea,_Republic_Of */

and the country code set depends on the FW release ,  and if you need to support specific channels for different country , you need to raise help to FAE or raise cases for updating FW.

0 Likes

zhez wrote:

Hi  Andrew:

I have a test based on 43340 firmware,  Actually, the default  KR/1 can't be set successfully.

It was working in older sdks, obviously some changes in new sdk broke it.

Why not just fix it properly or revert the bad commmit?

PS. the issue is not only on 43340 firmware, 43438 has the same issue.

0 Likes

How should I know what valid revision values are for each country?

For example, for US, I am not even sure what the difference between US0 and US4 are. Both are defined, but I have no idea what the functional difference or hardware support is between them.

I can implicitly see that one hint is: build a test app with the complete wifi console commands and attempt actuation from there.

This is fairly important for me, since I have a single SKU that we sell in several countries, and we set the radio mode at user configuration time.

I wrote up a whole redirection table that will ingest an ISO country code, and either override it to another country if there is no WICED entry for it, or override it to the same ISO code plus a revision number, or pass it through the ISO value to MK_CNTRY with revision 0 to map it to the WICED country code.

0 Likes

Hi  Andrew:

Frankly , in firmware setting it will enable different revisions with the same country code  for different purposes .

I think the purposes are to make customer more convenient to change the rev for the match of the channel setting or other DFS setting.

so the steps should be below:

1.  finalize the sell countries like CN, US, KR .

2.  check the channels setting to see if it matched the requests from the certification lab.  actually there should have no changes with a high frequency.

3.   if you found some channels should be disabled in US/0 ,   you need to find a revision replacement in the firmware.

if you can't find the revision,   you need to find the support team for your project or raise cases for get the accurate rev. 

You need to add the info:

3.1 :  which chip, which firmware, which country code.

3.2 :  which channel needs to be disabled or enabled.

3.3 :  if DFS, or firmware power need to be adjusted.

4.  if your customer has a strange channel request , we need to update firmware for modifying the channel request.

4.1 :  we need to update to regulatory team for the modification.

4.2 :   we need to update CLM or FW for the specific project.

4.3 :   finally we will provide a new revision to match all your requests.

it really needs a process and period.

Ah, excellent. As far as I can tell, this only appears to be an issue with the latest WiFi FW that was shipped with SDK 6.1 .

We are our own customer (in-house development), so no worries there.
Although: we do *sometimes* play tricks. Actually, finding the right setting for some countries like Japan or for supporting n-only mode AP's in various countries has been a little tricky.

Per your suggestion, I will do an exhaustive test of country code, revision, and allowed channel, and will likely ping Cypress support once I build up a list of exact requirements.
DFS should not be an issue, as this is a 2.4Ghz only radio.
Are there other wifi config values I should check at the console as I examine each country code setting?

Is there any way to know what revisions are available for each country and WifiFW? I see 0,1, and 4 come up a lot, but then there are others like 895, 931, 983, 950, and 17. And it is a mystery what each of them corresponds to.

It would be kind of nice to have that as a table available for each WifiFW distribution and each radio product, tbh.

Hi Andrew:

I want to know the table also as well as you.   I just update my checking channel commands on a blog.

please take it as a reference when you are doing country code check , thanks.

How to add wifi test commands for command console application in wiced SDK.

0 Likes

FYI,

The bug was reported 2 years ago.

https://community.cypress.com/message/24846#24846

The WICED_COUNTRY_KOREA_REPUBLIC_OF is set to MK_CNTRY( 'K', 'R', 1 ) in every release, it never changed.

You should just make the default case work (at least file a bug to your team) rather than change rev value.

I have no idea why you ask people to check the rev value.

0 Likes