WICED workflow

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, we are currently investigating the option of using WICED chips in our design. I have some questions regarding how the WICED chip's are actually used and programmed.

I am not familiar with the terminology used in WICED community so I will use the following one (correction of my terminology is welcomed):

• WICED chip - the actual wifi mac/phy/radio chip (e.g. BCM43362 or BCM43364)
  • WICED module - the wiced chip integrated with host MCU (e.g. BCM943362WCD4 or BCM943364WCD1). Somewhere referenced as "platform"
  • WICED eval board - evaluation board including WICED module and support circuity for debuging (e.g. BCM943362WCD4_EVB or BCM943364WCD1_EVB)

My questions are as follows:

• In case of programming using the SDK the application is executed in WICED chip's ROM or WICED module's MCU?
    • If in WICED module's MCU then what is the purpose of controller (ARM M3) on WICED chips? Can I reprogram it too or it is just for internal purpose of the chip executing firmware in from ROM?
  • Can I use my own host MCU and communicate directly with WICED chip. Is there any support in the SDK? Is the SDIO/SPI protocol documentation available (commands/registers...)
  • What are "partner modules" and what is the difference between WICED module and partner module?
0 Likes
1 Solution

You can buy certain partners module, wipe it clean and start fresh using the WICED SDK And the partners platform files.

The partners usually ship their modules pre-programed so people don't have to do much development work.

Does this help?

View solution in original post

5 Replies