WICED SDK Support for BCM4343W & BCM4354

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

My company is starting development work on a new product and we are considering using a Broadcom radio. We plan to use Micrium uC/OS-III RTOS and uC/TCP-IP networking stack. In discussions with Micrium, they indicated that it would be easy to integrate their RTOS and network stack into the WICED SDK to provide a complete WI-FI solution. I have been looking at radio options that are supported by the WICED SDK. The BCM4343W radio is mentioned on the WICED web page as being supported, but when you download the SDK, the readme file does not mention that the BCM4343W is supported. Can someone confirm that this radio is currently supported? If not, will it be in the future?

Another product in our company is using the BCM4354 radio, it would be a better choice for us to re-use this radio if it can or will be supported by the WICED SDK. As with the BCM4343W, the BCM4354 radio is mentioned on the WICED web page, but noted as a Linux Only Solution and is not mentioned in the SDK readme as supported. Can someone confirm whether this radio is supported by the WICED SDK? What does a Linux Only Solution mean and would that make it difficult to use Micrium uC/OS-III and uC/TCP-IP?

0 Likes
5 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

WICED leverages onboard Cortex-M based processors and is designed to work with all RTOS & TCP/IP network stacks.  I believe it works out of the box with FreeRTOS or ThreadX, with FreeRTOS being the most popular.

SDK 3.3.1 supports the BCM43341 and the assocaited eval board.

The BCM4343W is a follow on device to the 43341 (minus NFC and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi only), and I believe it may be supported in the WICED SDK supporting Amazon Web Services 3.4.0-AWS​, if not, SDK 3.5, which will be released soon.

The eval board for the 4343W is BCM94343WWCD1_EVB and it is available through many of our franchised distributors.

I just checked and it appears Avnet has 5 of them in stock through their online operation, Express: Broadcom BCM94343WWCD1_EVB, - Avnet Express

Avnet also has its IoT Starter Kit, which also leverages the 4343W and the WICED SDK, along with Amazon Web Services:Avnet Introduces the Avnet BCM4343W IoT Starter Kit Powered by Broadcom’s WICED and Amazon Web Servi...

This may be a fit as well.

The Linux radio only modules fall under a different model in that they assume an external Cortex-A or equivalent type processor is being used (i.e. i.MX 6/7, Sitara) with a Linux based OS. The modules offered by our partners that support this radio-only Linux module are listed here in the back of the Mass Market Products - Fall/Winter 2015 Product Selector Guide

I am not familiar with BCM4354 support being offered either in the WICED SDK or within any of the current Linux partner modules, but I believe there may be a few Linux Partner module makers targeting this device in the future.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, very helpful. We are planning to use an i.MX6SX processor. I have heard that Freescale (now NXP) is working with Broadcom to add i.MX6 support to the WICED SDK. Is this true? If so, what revision of the SDK would offer this and when would it be available?

0 Likes

Not sure about adding Linux support to the WICED SDK.

True that Freescale, through Broadcom module partners like Murata Wi-Fi/Bluetooth for Linux and Android​, LSR​, Inventek Systems​ and others are enabling Broadcom silicon within their partner modules.

jrhaedtghousedickb

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am the applications engineer at LSR.  .  We offer a BCM4343W solution in our Sterling-LWB module.  Please let me know if you have interest and we can discuss further.  Currently we plan to support Linux using Freescale IMX.   Feel free to contact me at jhaedt@lsr.com 

-Jason Haedt

0 Likes

hi Chris,

Just sent you a couple emails with various details on NXP i.MX6 and Murata modules.  Once you have signed onto our i.MX portal, you can view additional details on existing support for i.MX6 platforms - including the SoloX.  Regarding WICED solutions, I also copied one of my colleagues (Hiro Hyogo) who can support you on those queries as well.

Best Regards,

Scott Kerr

SW Applications Manager

Team Connectivity, Murata Americas

Email: skerr@murata.com

0 Likes