Setting up 43907 as a USB storage device

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NaFi_2915566
Level 3
Level 3
First like received First like given

When setting up a USB Storage Device, do I have to use FATFS or can FileX be used?  FileX supports FAT32 & exFAT so it should work, right? 

Also, I cannot find a USB Storage Device  example anywhere, any pointers?

I found this Configuring CYW943907AEVAL1F as USB device but it has a scary ending: "Note: The USB Device functionality does not work for device classes (For instance, mass storage class) that use a transfer data length which is a multiple of the maximum packet size. Currently there is no workaround for this issue. The issue is being investigated and will be updated once there is a solution or workaround identified"

0 Likes
1 Solution

Unfortunately this bug affects all the USB classes.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
PriyaM_16
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

There are no sample examples for USB Storage class in WICED right now. The device can be configured as a USB device as shown in the blog post but there are issues only when the host requests data in multiples of maximum packet size from the device. If the data requested from host is not in multiples of maximum packet size, there wont be any problem in USB transfer.
We are working on a fix which will allow to send data in multiples of Max packet size.

FYI: If you are looking for mounting filesystem on 43907, you may have a look at this blog: “snip.sd_filesystem” Application in Wiced Studio 

Thank you for the input.  Does the "multiples of maximum packet size" issue apply to all USB device classes or just MSD?  I.e. can I get around it by using MTP or CDC-ACM?

0 Likes

Unfortunately this bug affects all the USB classes.

Is there a Cypress combo solution with separate WiFi and USB chips to achieve the desired functional performance? This may be an option if space isn’t a concern until a single chip solution is presented.

This fix for sending multiples of maximum packet size will be part of the next WICED release.

Is there a tiem estimate on the release?

0 Likes

Sometime in Q1'19 is the target. 

riya

One question that came up internally is whether anybody knows if the USB bug prevents MSD from working with specific laptops: Windows, Linux?

0 Likes

It is not specific to OS. It is related to the requests from USB host. If the host requests data is multiples of maxPacketsize, then the error would occur.

I was hoping for anecdotal info to see if we can limp along until the next SDK release.