Secure MQTT Mosquitto example

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrahamS_21
Employee
Employee
25 replies posted 10 likes received 10 replies posted

I was trying to demonstrate the Secure_Mqtt snip project to a customer today but ran in to some problems.

if i wanted to use the Mosquitto broker, can you explain the steps required to setup and configure the demo on Windows PCs?

Every time i tried i just got the error "Did you configure your Broker IP Address?

But i don't know how to actually configure the Broker or set up the Windows side of it.

Do we have any guidance on how to do this for Mosquitto or any other free easy to access brokers?

thanks

Graham

0 Likes
3 Replies
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Dear Graham,

Can you try using mqtt.fx and check whether you are able to connect to mosquitto broker? This does seem to be a mosquitto issue rather than a WICED mqtt/tls issue because I am able to use some other brokers successfully in my setup.

0 Likes

could you share the steps to test? this is one of the issues as i'm not sure i'm following the steps right.

thanks

Graham

0 Likes
  1. Modify the CLIENT_AP_SSID/CLIENT_AP_PASSPHRASE Wi-Fi credentials in the wifi_config_dct.h header file to match your Wi-Fi access point
  2. Modify the MQTT_BROKER_ADDRESS with your MQTT broker (By default WICED uses test.mosquitto.org). If you intend to use a different broker you need to change the MQTT_BROKER_ADDRESS and as the discussion is centered on secure_mqtt, you need to get the CA certificate from broker website and put it in 43xxx_Wi-Fi/resources/apps/secure_mqtt (in WICED understandable format. please refer to the .cer file for already present in the directory for further clarifications)
  3. To debug a connection issue with the broker and you seem to think that it is an issue with WICED MQTT library, try connecting to the broker using some other MQTT client. I personally use mqttfx app downloadable from https://mqttfx.jensd.de/ to determine whether the broker is functional or not. Once I understand the issue is with WICED MQTT library (not with the broker as inferred from the independent mqtt client), there are various ways to debug this. One of the most common places to start looking would be TLS, by enabling the TLS logs in mbedTLS as mentioned in Debugging TLS in WICED