ST-link support in WICED (programming Inventek ISM4343-WBM-L54 module)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
nmate1988
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First solution authored

Hi everyone,

I encountered the same problem as written in

https://community.cypress.com/t5/WICED-Studio-Wi-Fi-Combo/how-to-add-ST-link-support-in-WICED/m-p/72...
I am trying to program an Inventek ISM4343-WMB-L54 module (mounted on a custom PCB) with ST-link/v2 programmer from Wiced 6.2. I downloaded the Wiced patch from the Inventek website, walked through the solution here:

https://broadcomwiced-v8.hosted.jivesoftware.com/community/software-forums/wiced-wifi/wiced-wifi-for...
I also added these rows to my platform.mk file as suggested on the forums

HOST_OPENOCD := scripts/target/stm32f4x_stlink

JTAG        := scripts/interface/stlink-v2

and still geting the same OpenOCD errors as in the first link. 

(the ST-link/V2 is recognised as a libusbK device - driver updated with Zadig)

The last entry form openocd_log.txt is the following:

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0+dev-00227-g0d15c62 (2018-03-27-15:19)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
./tools/OpenOCD/stm32f4x.cfg:1: Error: Can't find swj-dp.tcl
in procedure 'script'
at file "embedded:startup.tcl", line 60
at file "./tools/OpenOCD/stm32f4x.cfg", line 1
For bug reports, read
Error: An adapter speed is not selected in the init script. Insert a call to adapter_khz or jtag_rclk to proceed.

For bug reports, read
Error: An adapter speed is not selected in the init script. Insert a call to adapter_khz or jtag_rclk to proceed.

I am really stuck with this problem, your help would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

nmate1988

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
nmate1988
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I am finally able to program and debug the custom board based on the Inventek module. These are the fix steps, if someone has a similar problem. 

1) First I had to modify a row in the stm32f469discovery.cfg:

The reset_config was set to srst_only, I needed to change this to:

reset_config none

This is probably a board design specific setup. With this modification, I was able to program the module.

2) The setup of the debugging was another problem. I have not found too many resources online on how to setup an OpenODC based debug environment in Wiced Studio, but I found a way to make it work:

In the Debug Configurations window, I created a new GDB OpenOCD Debugging config, screenshots of the setup are attached. I hope this will help someone else in the future.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Aditi_B
500 replies posted 5 questions asked 250 replies posted

Hi,

Can you provide more information on the custom PCB on which you have mounted the Inventek ISM4343-WMB-L54 module? What's the board name?

Have you referred to this post Adding ST-Link support in WICED - Cypress Developer Community? If yes, then you would have seen that a custom JTAG macro has to be defined in the platform.mk file that corresponds to the board used to program via ST-Link. We would require a same .cfg file for that board in the OpenOCD folder.

So, what have you specified in this macro and do you have the relevant .cfg file?

Thanks

Aditi

0 Likes
nmate1988
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Aditi,

Thank you very much for your response and sorry for the late answer. Unfortunately I cannot provide information on the board, but basically the JTAG pins of the Inventek module can be accessed directly. 

I defined a custom JTAG macro, I have the relevant cfg file in the OpenODC folder. The only thing I am unsure of is the content of the cfg file. Now it is basically the same as the stm32f469discovery.cfg used in the refered post, since it also uses the st-link-v2-1. 

Is there an additional step I am missing?

Best regars,

nmate1988

0 Likes
Aditi_B

Hi,

I went through the stm32f469discovery.cfg file and I don't see any specific changes to be done. Were you able to program the inventek module?

Thanks

Aditi

0 Likes

Hi, 

I can program the board with STLink Utility software, as this thread suggests:
https://community.cypress.com/t5/WICED-Studio-Wi-Fi-Combo/JTAG-programming-what-bin-files-to-use/m-p...

I can not program it from Wiced studio. The same OpenOCD errors keep showing. It is veeeery time consuming, so it would be very nice if I could program the board from Wiced, not to mention the debug possibilities.

nmate1988

0 Likes
lock attach
nmate1988
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I am finally able to program and debug the custom board based on the Inventek module. These are the fix steps, if someone has a similar problem. 

1) First I had to modify a row in the stm32f469discovery.cfg:

The reset_config was set to srst_only, I needed to change this to:

reset_config none

This is probably a board design specific setup. With this modification, I was able to program the module.

2) The setup of the debugging was another problem. I have not found too many resources online on how to setup an OpenODC based debug environment in Wiced Studio, but I found a way to make it work:

In the Debug Configurations window, I created a new GDB OpenOCD Debugging config, screenshots of the setup are attached. I hope this will help someone else in the future.

lock attach
Aditi_B

Hi,

Glad to know you can program the module. PFA the document that provides the steps to setup the debug environment in WICED (you've already done this but you can refer to this document in case it helps).

Thanks

Aditi

0 Likes