Running in raw or "promiscuous" mode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to work at the MAC layer where I can see all packets regardless of addressing and build packets manually?  I would like to creat a test apparatus application that sniffs the network and can inject test packets.  I don't see any API support for this mode.  It is commonly supported in other chip sets such as the TI CC3200.

0 Likes
4 Replies
GregG_16
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 25 comments on KBA

Promiscuous mode on WICED WIFI platform

Does monitor mode help you?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. Is monitor mode is 80% of the solution which should allow me to see all traffic.  The other 20% is to be able to construct packets manually.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the Broadcom family support monitor mode and the ability to build packets manually?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi rdavis

I was reviewing a series of forum questions and noticed that there was no reply on this thread.

As Greg mentioned, we do support monitor mode which will allow you to see the packets that the radio receives but we do not have a test command to construct specific "test packets" that you can inject back into a network.

The closest we may have to this is to use the packet engine command as described in the test app note N4010 Wireless Connectivity Measurement Setup Procedures . where the packet mac address, phy rate, length etc can be specified.

Regards

Dave

0 Likes