Rebuild binary / blob : Fast Roaming on CYW43455

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Raphael
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hi,

After few researches on how to compile Fast Roaming for my CYW43455, i only found few informations on this post https://community.cypress.com/t5/WICED-Studio-Wi-Fi-Combo/11R-Fast-Roaming-support-on-CYW43455/m-p/1... but it is not matching a lot with my case.

To summarize my case, we use the CYW43455 chip on a custom embedded system and for now, we are simply using the chip with the default given firmwares which are:

cyfmac43455-sdio.bin
cyfmac43455-sdio.clm_blob

The problem is that with the default firmwares, it seems that we can't use roaming natively. So my question is how can we rebuild a custom firmware for this chip for our particular case which is activating Fast Roaming feature?

Thanks you

Raphael

0 Likes
1 Solution
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

@Raphael There is no need to compile the firmware.

Are you using the wpa_supplicant?

There would be archive file called cypress-patch-v in the fmac driver package that you would have, Can you patch all those patches?

Then do the below and it should work.

insmod compat.ko
insmod cfg80211.ko
insmod brcmutil.ko
insmod brcmfmac.ko roamoff=0

Thanks 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

@Raphael There is no need to compile the firmware.

Are you using the wpa_supplicant?

There would be archive file called cypress-patch-v in the fmac driver package that you would have, Can you patch all those patches?

Then do the below and it should work.

insmod compat.ko
insmod cfg80211.ko
insmod brcmutil.ko
insmod brcmfmac.ko roamoff=0

Thanks 

0 Likes

Hi,
Thanks for the response. It's not matching exactly with what i'm trying to do. I'll try to be more clear.

When we are using the chip, we are flashing her through cpio thanks to the last given cyfmac43455-sdio.bin cyfmac43455-sdio.clm_blob and we initialize the chip with the nvram you can find here https://github.com/murata-wireless/cyw-fmac-nvram/blob/master/cyfmac43455-sdio.1MW.txt

After this done, we setup the chip manually thanks to ioctl to activate roamoff=1.

(it was when we wasn't using the roaming)

Now with the new firmware, i can just remove the lines that was desactivating the roaming and a new event is triggered which is WLC_E_ROAM when i'm going under -65dbm who is the treshold set in nvram.
Is this sufficiently or did i need to do what you said?

After each power on of our embedded system, we absolutely need to reanitialize everything, that's why we are doing it like this.

Thank you

Raphael

EDIT: Afterall, it seems that if i just use your last firmware with my process, roaming works!! So it's all good thank you

0 Likes