Problem Running the WiFi Direct Sample App

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WaCu_1902616
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

I've been trying to run the WiFi Direct sample application (p2p) in the WICED 2.4.0 SDK but so far without success.  After building and loading the application I am unable to discover the WICED board with my smart phone and see no probe requests when I run a wireless trace.  The console output looks like:

Platform BCM943362WCD4 initialised

Started ThreadX v5.5

Initialising NetX v5.6

Creating Packet pools

Starting Wiced v2.4.0

WWD SDIO interface initialised

WLAN MAC Address : 02:0A:F7:50:BF:8D

STA MAC: 00:00:00:00:00:00

The zero MAC address looks a bit odd, but I haven't touched anything that would affect it.  I've successfully built and run a couple of the other sample applications (scan and ap_clients_rssi) so I know the SDK is installed properly.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is the P2P interface must have a different MAC address than the standard STA or AP interfaces and for modules which do not have an address written into the OTP the SDK will use a randomly generated address with the link-local bit set. The P2P intitialisation reads the STA MAC address and then sets the link-local assuming it has created a unique MAC which is not true for all modules.

A quick, temporary fix is to modify the generated_mac_address.txt file and change:

"macaddr=02:0A:F7:50:BF:8D"

"\x02\x0A\xF7\x50\xBF\x8D"

to

"macaddr=00:0A:F7:50:BF:8D"

"\x00\x0A\xF7\x50\xBF\x8D"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think MAC address is not written into OTP of your module.

You can program it using test.mfg_test application.

Which EVB do you use? Can you ask this someone who you got the board from?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is the P2P interface must have a different MAC address than the standard STA or AP interfaces and for modules which do not have an address written into the OTP the SDK will use a randomly generated address with the link-local bit set. The P2P intitialisation reads the STA MAC address and then sets the link-local assuming it has created a unique MAC which is not true for all modules.

A quick, temporary fix is to modify the generated_mac_address.txt file and change:

"macaddr=02:0A:F7:50:BF:8D"

"\x02\x0A\xF7\x50\xBF\x8D"

to

"macaddr=00:0A:F7:50:BF:8D"

"\x00\x0A\xF7\x50\xBF\x8D"

Thanks, that did the trick!!

0 Likes

We’re using the BCM9WCD1EVAL1 eval board with the BCM943362WCD4 module.

0 Likes