Please tell me why I should persue dev. using Wiced!?!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KaSe_1327851
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

I have been looking for a wireless chip for an (ultra) low power Wi-Fi interface for our embedded products.

I was surprised to find Broadcom actually offering a development environment so I joined up today.

The software structure seems well thought out, but there doesn't seem to be a roadmap as it were for integration of the BCM43362 chip and its successors.

If I want to have a Wi-Fi interface in my products it's got to be 5% of the total BOM, not 50% and and likewise in terms of space requirements. A quick glance it the SDK shows its not unfeasible to connect the BCM43362 to the uP of my choice but a search of the Broadcom site for BCM43362 comes up with three links (2 news, and one to Wiced), that's right, no data sheet, sample Gerbers etc. No roadmap for the device family. When I try to get a handle of pricing all I can find is a listing as an un-stocked part with a 5000 MOQ from one supplier.

The more questions I pose, that darker the picture gets. And I can see it all leading to me being told, you should have just used one of our "module partner" modules!! to which the answer is No, because they are too expensive, too big, too power hungry, don't do what I need them to do, are single sourced, and only save my 10% on the FCC tests I'll have to have done on my product anyway.

Someone please get back to me and tell me I've got it all wrong.

Many thanks.

Karel

13 Replies