OpenOCD failure with Windows VM on Mac OSX

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm using a Windows 7 VM installed using VMWare Fusion 6.0.2 on Mac OSX 10.9.1. I get the following error when I try to build snip.scan-BCM943362WCD4 download run:

Downloading Bootloader ...

"**** OpenOCD failed - ensure you have installed the driver from the drivers directory, and that the debugger is not running **** In Linux this may be due to USB access permissions. In a virtual machine it may be due to USB passthrough settings. Check in the task list that another OpenOCD process is not running. Check that you have the correct target and JTAG device plugged in. ****"

Downloading Application ...

"**** OpenOCD failed - ensure you have installed the driver from the drivers directory, and that the debugger is not running **** In Linux this may be due to USB access permissions. In a virtual machine it may be due to USB passthrough settings. Check in the task list that another OpenOCD process is not running. Check that you have the correct target and JTAG device plugged in. ****"

Downloading DCT ...

Resetting target

Makefile:227: recipe for target 'run' failed

make: *** [run] Error 1

I'm using Wiced-SDK-2.4.0. Any hints on how to get around this problem? It is not clear what USB passthrough settings if any are the issue here. I've had no problems interfacing with other boards using USB and this very same VM set up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Arvind

0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried the OSX native SDK build? WICED™ Software Development Kit: WICED-SDK-2.4.0.pkg [OS X Installer]

Also, make sure the usb device is properly passed through and not active under osx as well.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Yes, I've tried the native build, and there is no problem with the native build. I'm trying to use the Windows build because I expect it will be better supported and more frequently updated.

And no, the USB device is definitely connected to the Windows VM and not active on OSX.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Arvindraghaven,

Would you mind sharing what your difficulties where with the native OSX build?

I don't have vmware but will give it a go using virtual box tonight, to see if i run into any problems.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wizzy,

I did not have any difficulties with the native OSX build as I mentioned in my previous post.

Arvind

Arvind R. Raghavan

VP, Research & Development

Tel: +1 415 640 6671

Fax: +1 415 373 4522

Blue Clover Devices, Inc.

www.bcdevices.com

***************Confidentiality Notice*******************

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments may be legally privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments immediately. You should not retain copy or use this e-mail or any attachments for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of the contents to any other person.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

My apologies. I misread.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you install the drivers that came with the SDK?

In order to get it running I had to tell virtual box to automatically grab any USB device with the product ID 0x43fa and enable USB2.

This allows virtual box to disassociate it from OSX and re associate it with the windows VM.

If the device turns up as composite device in windows then it isn't being passed through properly. It needs to appear as "BCM9WCD1EVAL1".

In order to find out the USB devices in OSX use "system_profiler SPUSBDataType".

I hope that vmware is similar and that this can help.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wizzy,

I did install the drivers that came with the SDK. And yes, when you use VMWare Fusion, and a new USB device is connected, you are prompted to choose which machine to associate. I obviously choose Windows, and the device shows up in the list of connected hardware under Windows, but doesn’t show on the OSX side.

I think the actual driver may be the problem. I was having trouble connecting an unrelated Freescale board too, and getting the correct driver for the USB-to-serial device seemed to have fixed it. I’ve currently uninstalled the WICED driver to use this Freescale board. I’ll check the exact status of the WICED device in Windows Device Manager in a day or two after I’ve reinstalled the original WICED driver, and get back to you.

But it is good to know that you could get it running using Virtual Box. I’ll respond with more details shortly. Thanks for investigating!

Arvind

Arvind R. Raghavan

VP, Research & Development

Tel: +1 415 640 6671

Fax: +1 415 373 4522

Blue Clover Devices, Inc.

www.bcdevices.com

***************Confidentiality Notice*******************

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments may be legally privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments immediately. You should not retain copy or use this e-mail or any attachments for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of the contents to any other person.

0 Likes