OpenOCD Failed- Virtual Machine

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been trying to install WICED SDK in virtual box running linux. I plugged in my device using USB and I am trying to download the compiled code and I always run into OpenOCD failure. The USB settings are enabled in the Virtual box and show the device is connected and can be used.

The following error appears when the make command is issued:

Downloading Bootloader ...

**** OpenOCD failed - ensure you have installed the driver from the drivers directory, and that the debugger is not running **** In Linux this may be due to USB access permissions. In a virtual machine it may be due to USB passthrough settings. Check in the task list that another OpenOCD process is not running. Check that you have the correct target and JTAG device plugged in. ****

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using JTAG from a virtual machine requires two things:

1.  That the VM technology has very good USB emulation.  I know that VMWare does.  I am not sure about Virtual Box.

2.  That you install the Linux drivers necessary to install entries in the device tables.

If you want to try #2, I posted a response at the bottom of this thread which describes how to set up your virtual machine for proper recognition of a JTAG USB interface: Re: How to get the serial port to show up in Linux 64-bit for the 4343W AVN board?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Does the virtual box show both the USB jtag and USB uart ports? Also what does the openocd log file indicate as the error?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its shows two broadcom ports connected. I could make it run and download with root privileges.

However I cannot view the console output since there is no /dev/ttyUSB0. I tried using /dev/ttySx but none is really connected to the board.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This seems to be a generic Linux issue and not specific to the VM

You need to determine which TTY the VM maps the UART to and then configure that for access via your user account

In most current distributions TTY is still root privileged, and you will have to add yourself to the correct group

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using JTAG from a virtual machine requires two things:

1.  That the VM technology has very good USB emulation.  I know that VMWare does.  I am not sure about Virtual Box.

2.  That you install the Linux drivers necessary to install entries in the device tables.

If you want to try #2, I posted a response at the bottom of this thread which describes how to set up your virtual machine for proper recognition of a JTAG USB interface: Re: How to get the serial port to show up in Linux 64-bit for the 4343W AVN board?