Open source SSL/TLS Library support for WICED-SDK-3.1.2

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any open source SSL/TLS library available for WICED-SDK-3.1.2 version.

We tried to implement security using CyaSSL library but it is dual licensed type.

As we cannot use openssl library which is free (Apache Style License) licensed type, due to restriction of size and file system dependencies.

If anyone can suggest open source SSL/TLS support for embeded devices, then it would be help full for me.

0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi adahiya , uSSL SDK is already included free with WICED.  Why wouldn't you use it?

/Steve

0 Likes

cypherbridge wrote:

Hi adahiya , uSSL SDK is already included free with WICED.  Why wouldn't you use it?

Obviously open source SSL/TLS library allows developers to do bug fix or feature

enhance by themselves.

0 Likes
HuFi_1747246
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

The ARM mBed TLS1.2 stack is now Apache licensed - try that?

hugo wrote:

The ARM mBed TLS1.2 stack is now Apache licensed - try that?

I'm wondering if Broadcom has plan to integrate mBed TLS to WICED SDK.

If this is done by Broadcom, everyone get benefits.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

axel.lin_1746341​: It seems like WICED 3.7.0 uses mbed TLS. When I look at the symbols in BESL.ARM_CR4.release.a it shows mbed TLS. I am trying to find out which version is used.

0 Likes

user59 wrote:

axel.lin_1746341: It seems like WICED 3.7.0 uses mbed TLS. When I look at the symbols in BESL.ARM_CR4.release.a it shows mbed TLS. I am trying to find out which version is used.

So the older SDKs does not uses mbedtls APIs.

However, since sdk-3.7.0+ it uses mbedtls APIS:

nm WICED/security/BESL/BESL.ARM_CM4.release.a |grep mbedtls shows the mbedtls_* APIS.

wiced_mbedtls.o:

U mbedtls_ccm_auth_decrypt

U mbedtls_ccm_encrypt_and_tag

U mbedtls_ccm_init

U mbedtls_ccm_setkey

U mbedtls_gcm_auth_decrypt

Why this is not mentioned in CHANGELOG.txt and LICENSE.txt?

mifo

From an older (couple years ago) deep-dive I did into the BESL crypto library when working on some RSA signature verification stuff it looked like BESL was [based on] PolarSSL.  Looks like PolarSSL was purchased by ARM and rebranded 'mbed TLS'.  This seems a reasonable explanation on Broadcom/Cypress's behalf -- the crypto library was not changed in WICED 3.7.0 but simply upgraded to the newer version with new symbol names now reflecting 'mbed TLS'.

That said, I fully agree that these changes (e.g. migration/upgrade of a precompiled library) should be captured in the WICED release notes.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could someone from Cypress confirm the version of mbedTLS in use? I am trying to pull in mbed TLS for other crypto stuff and would like to use the same version if possible.

user59 wrote:

Could someone from Cypress confirm the version of mbedTLS in use? I am trying to pull in mbed TLS for other crypto stuff and would like to use the same version if possible.

SDK-5.2.0 is using mbedLTS-v2.4.0.