Open OCD failed - error with PSoC 6 WiFi-BT Pioneer Kit Example snip-scan

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

How can I avoid an error in the Console output of WICED  "**** OpenOCD failed - ensure you have installed the driver...

I get this error using a CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT kit and following Section 3.4 “Programming and Debugging in WICED” in “PSoC 6 WiFi-BT Pioneer Kit Guide” https://www.cypress.com/file/407731/download

I opened WICED, plugged in a CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT kit, then copied the line from Section 3.4.1, “snip.scan-CY8CKIT_062 download_apps download run” into the Make window of WICED and double clicked it.

The end of the Console output is:

====================

----------------------------------+---------+---------|

TOTAL (bytes)                     |   99919 |   48004 |

----------------------------------|---------|---------|

Building apps lookup table

Downloading Bootloader ...

"**** OpenOCD failed - ensure you have installed the driver from the drivers directory, and that the debugger is not running **** In Linux this may be due to USB access permissions. In a virtual machine it may be due to USB passthrough settings. Check in the task list that another OpenOCD process is not running. Check that you have the correct target and JTAG device plugged in. ****"

Downloading DCT ...

"**** OpenOCD failed - ensure you have installed the driver from the drivers directory, and that the debugger is not running **** In Linux this may be due to USB access permissions. In a virtual machine it may be due to USB passthrough settings. Check in the task list that another OpenOCD process is not running. Check that you have the correct target and JTAG device plugged in. ****"

Downloading resources filesystem ... build/snip.scan-CY8CKIT_062/filesystem.bin at sector 1  size 104...

tools/makefiles/wiced_apps.mk:335: recipe for target 'FILESYSTEM_IMAGE_DOWNLOAD' failed

make.exe[1]: *** [FILESYSTEM_IMAGE_DOWNLOAD] Error 1

Makefile:351: recipe for target 'main_app' failed

make: *** [main_app] Error 2

13:05:39 Build Finished (took 1m:7s.10ms)

====================

I changed between KitProg3 and KitProg2 with no change in result.Reference "PSoC 6 MCU KitProg Firmware Loader" in Modus_user_guide @ https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-15457

I uninstalled and re-installed drivers with no change in result. Reference https://community.cypress.com/community/wiced-wifi/wiced-wifi-forums/blog/2018/02/23/upgrade-usb-dri...

Greg

https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-15457

0 Likes
1 Solution

Greg,

Thanks a lot for your detailed inputs. I believe section 4.3.3 of the kit guide​ talks about the modes and corresponding LED status. Could you please check whether that instructions are consistent with your finding mentioned above?

Thanks,

Raktim

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

This PSOC6 - CY8CKIT-062-WIFI-BT Cannot Program using Wiced should be able to give you some guidance. OpenOCD in WICED supports CMSIS-DAP HID mode. If you use fw_loader tool to update the firmware to Kitprog2/3 HID mode, you should be able to get through this problem.

In KP2, LED2 status should be off and in KP3, LED2 status should be pulsing to signify the CMSIS-DAP HID mode.

Raktim,

Where are documented instructions regarding the holding of the SW4 switch? It would be helpful to point to them directly in this post.

I seem to have found a sequence that bypasses the error:

- With the CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT kit plugged into a PC via the USB cable

- press then release the SW3 (Mode Select) button next to LED2 until LED2 pulses at a 1Hz rate

- LED2 pulsing at 1Hz indicates CMSIS-DAP/HID mode.

- press and HOLD SW4 button next to LED4 while running the Make Target in WICED.

- the code builds, compiles and loads onto the CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BLE kit.

- Startup TeraTerm and see the scanning occurring.

Note: Please Re-Mark the last suggestion by Kotnanik in PSOC6 - CY8CKIT-062-WIFI-BT Cannot Program using Wiced as the correct solution. The suggestion currently marked as correct was NOT helpful to me and did NOT help the originator of that post, based on the follow up comments. The last suggestion worked for me (after I decoded it per the steps above) and appears to have worked for the originator of the post who didn't need add any additional replies.

Aside#1: The version of CMSIS-DAP on my kit appears to be current when read using PSoC Programmer:

KitProg3. CMSIS-DAP Version 2.0.0. Firmware Version 1.10.2946. Hardware Id 02.

Aside#2: I don't understand the format of text in the openocd_log.txt file that Kotnanik refers to as providing the version:

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0+dev-00227-g0d15c62 (2018-03-27-15:19)

Licensed under GNU GPL v2

For bug reports, read

http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html

Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.

adapter speed: 1000 kHz

cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq

cortex_m reset_config vectreset

Error: unable to find CMSIS-DAP device

Thanks for your support,

Greg

0 Likes

Greg,

Thanks a lot for your detailed inputs. I believe section 4.3.3 of the kit guide​ talks about the modes and corresponding LED status. Could you please check whether that instructions are consistent with your finding mentioned above?

Thanks,

Raktim

Raktim,

The instructions in Section 4.3.3 "Kit Enumeration and Programming Modes of KitProg2" of the CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT Pioneer Kit Guide are consistent with my findings.

Thank you for identifying the official reference.

Greg

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

GrCa_1363456

The old Modus IDE User Guide you reference above is located on the Modus Pre-Release Site, so this is not accessible to most.

The new guide is here: ModusToolbox