Strictly necessary cookies are on by default and cannot be turned off. Functional, Performance and Tracking/targeting/sharing cookies can be turned on below based on your preferences (this banner will remain available for you to accept cookies). You may change your cookie settings by deleting cookies from your browser. Then this banner will appear again. You can learn more details about cookies HERE.
Strictly necessary (always on)
Functional, Performance and Tracking/targeting/sharing (default off)
I am using SDK 3.1.2 and BCM9WCDPLUS114 EVB (without external SPI flash).
from reference ota_fr readme and WICED-Application-Framework-April-2013.pdf, it mentioned the production APP and DCT store in internal flash. frApp, frDCT and OTAApp store in external flash.
Since PLUS114 only internal flash, I would like to try download ota_fr to internal flash as my productionAPP then upgrade new app overwrite the ota_fr. but if the new app size over 500KB the OTA will fail and never boot up.
it seems OTA server keep the ota_fr code and write newAPP to other location not overwrite the ota_fr.
test in my side.
1. build snip.ota_fr-BCM9WCDPLUS114 download run
2. into OTA webpage
3. upgrade snip_apsta-BCM9WCDPLUS114.stripped.elf (file size 484KB) to EVB
4. upgrade success, and board restart to apsta example
5. re-do step1
6. upgrade test_console-BCM9WCDPLUS114.stripped.elf (580KB) to EVB
7. console shows no error and "Restarting.." but board never boot up
In theory you can't do OTA without an external flash, because while you are downloading your new program, you will be running from internal flash and writing to it at the same time, you may run through the risk of erasing yourself.
Also in WICED 3.1.2, OTA is now different from the way it was done before. Without too much details, we now write the new applications to external serial flash (rather than internal flash) and then reloaded from external flash to internal flash.
Having said that, I believe (in fact pretty sure) the BCM9WCDPLUS114 EVB does have an external flash built in within the module. This is why your first OTA trial succeeds, I'm not sure about the exact size of flash (you can contact the manufacturer), but my guessing its 1MB. I think this is the cause of your problem. The flash size is not enough to take the test console application (as it is big). To test this, comment:
in ota_fr.mk. This will make the build system not put the FR application in to external flash, you will then have a room to put the console application. This is offcourse for test purposes only. Try again to do OTA with the console app.
The factory reset wouldn't work at this point offcourse, only the OTA (over the air upgrade).
capture from WICED-Application-Framework-April-2013.pdf
1. Would you please help to clarify the internal/external flash partition? which INDEX stored in internal/external flash.
2. my test scenario is snip.ota_fr-BCM9WCDPLUS114 download run without download_apps(download to external flash), as my understand my external flash should be null. from the wiced_ota_server.c, the ota is update DCT_APP0_INDEX.
My question is when I perform ota download run then into ota process, the app0_index is mean internal or external flash ?