Is WICED 4.0.1 available as a plain tarball/zip file?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PeHa_1711671
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

Previous WICED versions were available as either an "IDE installer" or as a plain 7z file that just had the sources in. The latter is much more useful to us, but the only 4.0.1 releases I can find are "IDE installers". Is 4.0.1 also available in a just-the-sources form?

Peter

0 Likes
1 Solution
JoYi_1844281
Level 6
Level 6
100 sign-ins 100 replies posted 50 likes received

You could extract the WICED-SDK 7z from OSx release package! Which is zip file format!

Handle how to import into exist IDE development and take care issues by yourself too, as mwf_mmfae​ mention!​

WICED-SDK-4.0.0.7z is located in the /WICED-Studio-4.0.10.14-IDE-Installer.app/Contents/Resources/Java/Disk1/InstData/Resource1.zip embedded in package.

Screenshot from 2016-12-02 10_08_43.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
JoYi_1844281
Level 6
Level 6
100 sign-ins 100 replies posted 50 likes received

You could extract the WICED-SDK 7z from OSx release package! Which is zip file format!

Handle how to import into exist IDE development and take care issues by yourself too, as mwf_mmfae​ mention!​

WICED-SDK-4.0.0.7z is located in the /WICED-Studio-4.0.10.14-IDE-Installer.app/Contents/Resources/Java/Disk1/InstData/Resource1.zip embedded in package.

Screenshot from 2016-12-02 10_08_43.png

0 Likes

The SVT Team and Developers explained that there are now two different packages, one for WiFi and another if you want to use Bluetooth.  I do not understand all of the details, but know that if we were to relase .7z, it may cause problems.

0 Likes

Thanks Jone, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Peter

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Unfortunately, the .7z install process is more complicated under WICED Studio so we have chosen not to support new .7z distributions as we are sure it will cause users alot of headaches and additional support issues.

0 Likes

Using installer is not good for people want to add the SDK to source code management tool for development.

You had better provide the .7z file and tell people how to use it.

0 Likes

Agreed, Axel.lin. Our code isn't a component in Cypress's build-system; Cypress's code is a component in our build-system.

Peter

0 Likes

I'll second that too, Axel & Peter.  Creating a monolithic installer for the WICED system offers a very small convenience to new users, while presenting a significant inconvenience to existing users needing to upgrade.  (Especially if the release format inhibits Cypress's ability to make timely bugfix releases to older versions of the framework.)

I'd recommend that Cypress add a small layer of product management to the WICED framework development.  E.g. interfacing with some of their customers to figure out how the framework is being used (especially w.r.t. framework updates) and ensure the framework content and release process is tuned to support that.

Cheers!

0 Likes

peter@electricimp.com

I looked into this some more today with the SVT manager, and it turns out that pulling the .7z files from the OSX installer as jone recommended should work fine if you want to go through the extra trouble and feel you will not benefit from the integration offered within the installers.

As noted earlier, there are 2 .7z files:

• SDK.7z (Bluetooth, no MFI)  <--BCM20706, BCM20719/29, BCM20735 (unreleased)
  • WICED-SDK-4.0.1-IPKG.7z (Wi-Fi, non MFI) <--Released Wifi and Combo Chip products available with SDK 3.7.x
0 Likes