How to load ota.bin file without using wiced IDE

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BaGo_4138971
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I'm using "make snip.pers-BCM943909WCD1_3.B1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-debug ota2_download" string to build and load the wiced.

But it need source code to execute it. Once i send this command I can get below listed .bin files.

pastedImage_0.png

The wf_ota_43903 file is combined file of all .bin files. So I want use this .bin file to load without using source code.

How I can successfully  load this bin file to wiced?

Please let me know is there any software or commands i need to use for this.

Thanks and Regards,

Basavanagouda.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

The ota2 manufacting image is created by including "ota2_manuf_image" in the build statement. You can just provide the created OTA2_manuf_image_file.bin file to your team. It includes waf/ota2_bootloader, OTA2_factory_reset_image.bin, waf/ota2_failsafe, DCT, Application LUT, ota2_extract, and the application.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
PriyaM_16
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

The ota2_download flag in the make target compiles an OTA2 image and downloads to the staging area. Quoting from WICED_OTA2.pdf :

Build an OTA2 Update Image suitable for upgrade server + download to FLASH OTA2 Staging Area at end of build for
testing purposes (using sflash_write as part of build process):
<application>-<platform> ota2_download

To check where the ota2_image has been downloaded, add a flag VERBSOE=1 in the make target as follows:

make snip.pers-BCM943909WCD1_3.B1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo VERBOSE=1 ota2_download

Also the debug flag is required to create a symbol file with all the symbols(no optimization) which aids debug. Hence I removed the debug flag from the make target.

The console log will show the downloading of the image into the flash as shown:

echo Downloading OTA2 Image build/snip.ota2_example-CYW943907AEVAL1F/OTA2_image_file.bin at 0x00600000 ...

Downloading OTA2 Image build/snip.ota2_example-CYW943907AEVAL1F/OTA2_image_file.bin at 0x00600000 ...

.\tools\OpenOCD\Win32\openocd-all-brcm-libftdi.exe -s .\tools\OpenOCD\scripts -f ./tools/OpenOCD/CYW9WCD1EVAL1.cfg -f ./tools/OpenOCD/BCM4390x.cfg -f apps/waf/sflash_write/sflash_write.tcl -c "sflash_write_file build/snip.ota2_example-CYW943907AEVAL1F/OTA2_image_file.bin 0x00600000 CYW943907AEVAL1F-P103-SoC.43909 0 43909" -c shutdown >> build/openocd_log.txt 2>&1

echo Downloading OTA2 Image Done

The address for staging area is picked up from the ota2_image_defines.mk file @ /43xxx_Wi-Fi/platforms/CYW943907AEVAL1F/ota2_image_defines.mk

The file name is OTA2_image_file.bin in WICED by default. Please let me know if you are creating a new file in your setup.

Hi Priya,

Thank you for the quick reply,

Yes, we already using VERBSOE=1 in the make file and see build prints in the console. Now I'm getting OTA2_image_file.bin file I know it will the combination of different files.

I want to know how I can create manufacturing .bin file. Since "make snip.pers-BCM943909WCD1_3.B1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo VERBOSE=1 ota2_download" need a source code to do the operation, end result will be the .bin.

For next load I don't want to use the string or my source code. Because I'm sharing my code to manufacturing team. I just want to share OTA2_image_file.bin or manufacturing image "ota2_manuf_image" and load the wiced.

Is there any option to do this?

I found below link, could you please help me understand this.

https://community.cypress.com/community/wiced-wifi/wiced-wifi-forums/blog/2019/03/28/wiced-download-...

Thanks and regards,

Basavanagouda.

0 Likes

In other words,

I want to load wiced with either .elf file or ota2_image_file.bin.

How I can do this?

Thanks,

Basavanagouda.

0 Likes

Hello,

The ota2 manufacting image is created by including "ota2_manuf_image" in the build statement. You can just provide the created OTA2_manuf_image_file.bin file to your team. It includes waf/ota2_bootloader, OTA2_factory_reset_image.bin, waf/ota2_failsafe, DCT, Application LUT, ota2_extract, and the application.

0 Likes