How to change antenna gain

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GaRa_4230356
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi,

I'm working on the platform MurataType1LD. I need to do some testing with changing the antenna gain level. By exploring I came to know that in platforms, wifi_nvram_image.h is the file which contains the config settings. I could see many parameters in that file and could not identify the exact param.

Which parameter I need to change to modify antenna gain?

What is the possible range of values?

How I can verify that the gain level is actually configured with WiFi firmware? Is there some API or some other way using which I can know the current antenna gain setting?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Aditi_B
500 replies posted 5 questions asked 250 replies posted

Hi,

We recommend that any changes in the NVRAM file should be done via the module partners. So, if you want to modify the antenna gain, you should contact the module partner for the same.

But, yes if you want to check the default values for antenna gain, or after modification if you want to crosscheck the change, you can do that via "wl curpower" command. For this, you have to download the test.console application provided in the WICED STUDIO under the test folder on your board. Before downloading, you have to enable three macros--

CONSOLE_ENABLE_WL := 1

WL_COMMAND_LARGE_BUFFER ?= 1

CONSOLE_USE_MFG_TEST_FW ?= 1

After doing these changes, you can build and run this application. On the console, you need to follow these commands for curpower testing in the same order-

wl country xx

wl mpc 0

wl up

wl channel xx

wl curpower

In the results, you'll see SROM Antgain 2G and SROM Antgain 5G that will display the antenna gains for 2.4 GHz and 5GHz frequency. I hope this helps!

Thanks

Aditi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Aditi_B

Hi,

We recommend that any changes in the NVRAM file should be done via the module partners. So, if you want to modify the antenna gain, you should contact the module partner for the same.

But, yes if you want to check the default values for antenna gain, or after modification if you want to crosscheck the change, you can do that via "wl curpower" command. For this, you have to download the test.console application provided in the WICED STUDIO under the test folder on your board. Before downloading, you have to enable three macros--

CONSOLE_ENABLE_WL := 1

WL_COMMAND_LARGE_BUFFER ?= 1

CONSOLE_USE_MFG_TEST_FW ?= 1

After doing these changes, you can build and run this application. On the console, you need to follow these commands for curpower testing in the same order-

wl country xx

wl mpc 0

wl up

wl channel xx

wl curpower

In the results, you'll see SROM Antgain 2G and SROM Antgain 5G that will display the antenna gains for 2.4 GHz and 5GHz frequency. I hope this helps!

Thanks

Aditi

0 Likes
GaRa_4230356
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi, 

Thanks for the info. I will check with module partner. But just curious that does modifying ag0 parameter alone to some value (within specified range by module partner) in file wifi_nvram_image.h can actually set the antenna gain to that value?

0 Likes
Aditi_B

Hi,

Yes, modifying the parameter alone in the nvram file for your platform sets the antenna gain to that value. And that modification we recommend be done by the module partner. You can then verify this value by the WL command I stated above.

Thanks

Aditi

0 Likes